What do you think about elearning?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

What do you think about elearning?

Postby Elgarmummy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 am

Hey parents, a Straits Times writer wrote about hating elearning days where children have to do their elearning tasks at home.

What do you think about it? Do you face any problems?

Elgarmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What do you think about elearning?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:50 am

Is this more applicable to Primary school students? My Secondary school boy hardly has any e-learning at home.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:59 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Is this more applicable to Primary school students? My Secondary school boy hardly has any e-learning at home.

I think elgarmummy is talking about the one day ( i think per Sem) that Sec ( some?) have where they stay at home and have lessons/work online as per the school timetable instead of face to face lessons.

The primary elearning is more on giving assignments, exercises etc to be done as homework

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 am

Sun_2010 wrote:I think elgarmummy is talking about the one day ( i think per Sem) that Sec ( some?) have where they stay at home and have lessons/work online as per the school timetable instead of face to face lessons.

The primary elearning is more on giving assignments, exercises etc to be done as homework

That's what I'm saying. I hardly see my boy having such lessons... if at all. He is in VS.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Elgarmummy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:09 am

I think it depends on schools whether they have days where the students stay at home to complete assignments online. Mine has it.

I see my friends complaining on FB, but I think their children are in primary school.

Elgarmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 am

OK... I'm moving this thread to the Primary school academic forum.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:18 am

Elgarmummy wrote:I think it depends on schools whether they have days where the students stay at home to complete assignments online. Mine has it.

I see my friends complaining on FB, but I think their children are in primary school.

Depends on what is the complaint. Think the writer wrote about the website not tablet friendly as tab donch support flash or something like that. Also, some work requires voice recording and not everyone has a mic at home.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:23 am

My P3 daughter seems to love e-learning. OK... it means she doesn't need to get off her bed at 5:15am. But she has no problem navigating it on a laptop. For me, I'm ambivalent about it.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Elgarmummy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:53 am

Ok, some excuses I've heard before

1. Other sibling is using the computer to do the elearning exercises on the same day, so not enough time.

2. Cannot access the information.

3. Computer spoilt

Elgarmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

Kids do not have free access to the comp at home and the home comp is a Mac and somehow some of the assignments or lessons are not compatible with Mac OS. So I need to rush home in order for kids to complete their assignments on my laptop which is a wintel machine or arrange to stay home for that day.

The kids of course love e-learning. Most of the time whatever needs to be done can be completed within the hour or lesser. Thereafter it is a holiday for them.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support