The minimum educational qualification for a tutor

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

The minimum educational qualification for a tutor

Postby James Ang » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:43 am

The school syllabus is getting more challenging, with O levels concepts brought to primary levels Maths and Science to be solved using primary level methods. And all primary schools are moving towards hiring degree-holders only to become school teachers. Do you expect your child's tutor to be a degree holder from at least a local university, to guide him/her to go on to local university one day?

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:47 am

There are only 2 reasons of having tuition; when the kid can't follow the lesson OR the kid wants to learn more.

In both cases, the kid needs an experienced tutor. A deg holder will be a plus point but the experience also counts.

Just curious, do the lecturers in NUS or NTU go through NIE ? :roll:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby James Ang » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:56 am

starlight1968sg wrote:There are only 2 reasons of having tuition; when the kid can't follow the lesson OR the kid wants to learn more.

In both cases, the kid needs an experienced tutor. A deg holder will be a plus point but the experience also counts.

Local universities are very stringent in their recruitment of teaching staff. I am sure the minimum qualification to be a lecturer or tutor in local Uni must be good honours degree holder, but most of them have at least Masters and some have pHD. And besides teaching undergrads, their workscope involves doing research and publishing their research in international journals.

I am pretty sure the Uni itself is an authority, and lecturers would have their own academic track record to back them up, so I don't think they go through NIE.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:58 am

I am not a teacher or a lecturer.

My point is "highest qualification does not necessarily make a GOOD teacher".

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby James Ang » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:09 am

starlight1968sg wrote:I am not a teacher or a lecturer.

My point is "highest qualification does not necessarily make a GOOD teacher".

but minimum qualification is still a necessary factor to look at to match the student's aspiration and proficiency level. For example, will parents get an N levels holder to teach their EM1 kid in P5/P6? (this is just a hypothetical example of a mismatch even though the N-level holder can be a skilful worker in his/her technical work)

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby James Ang » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:16 am

starlight1968sg wrote:There are only 2 reasons of having tuition; when the kid can't follow the lesson OR the kid wants to learn more.

If all primary schools are recruiting degree holders only to be school teachers, is it raising the expectation for the tutors to be degree holders or at least an undergrad?

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JonC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 am

See my comment here.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 5897#95897

In the nutshell, hiring a tutor who keep abreast with the current education system (former school teacher or current school teacher) is the safest choice.

Also note the point I mentioned about the naive Master Degree Holder.

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:04 am

Personally, I've been a tutor in my younger days. The agency does not do any background check and as they are commission based, they will be happy if they can get someone "suitable" to fill the role. I remember being filled in levels that I wasn't confident of teaching. I told the mum on the spot when we I realise the child's level upon arriving at their place. Due to this, I've little faith in getting tutors from agencies.

A good tutor should be qualified academically and also have the necessary experience. Personally, I think I value people's recommendation since it's tried and trusted.

On the earlier note on N level students being good technically. Let's not have such views. I used to go through the N level route too as I wasn't motivated at that stage. Once I am motivated, I know I can do well academically too. So let's not view N level students that way. They can do just as well it's just a question of personal motivation at times.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kiasimom » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:07 am

Dear all,

In your opinion, what should be the basic requirements and qualifications for a tutor.

1. Primary
2. Secondary
3. JC / Poly
4. University

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby James Ang » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:14 am

MMM wrote:Personally, I've been a tutor in my younger days. The agency does not do any background check and as they are commission based, they will be happy if they can get someone "suitable" to fill the role. I remember being filled in levels that I wasn't confident of teaching. I told the mum on the spot when we I realise the child's level upon arriving at their place. Due to this, I've little faith in getting tutors from agencies.

A good tutor should be qualified academically and also have the necessary experience. Personally, I think I value people's recommendation since it's tried and trusted.

On the earlier note on N level students being good technically. Let's not have such views. I used to go through the N level route too as I wasn't motivated at that stage. Once I am motivated, I know I can do well academically too. So let's not view N level students that way. They can do just as well it's just a question of personal motivation at times.

I am sure you have secured a higher than N levels qualification after you get motivated. :D

What I mean by "N level tutor", is someone with N levels as a highest qualification is less likely to teach academic subjects even though N level holders possess other non-academic skills that are well sought after in the job marketplace. Some N-level holders once motivated, move on to get their own private Uni degrees part-time while working full time.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support