English Composition Marking Scheme

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

English Composition Marking Scheme

Postby vksp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi,

Is there an English composition marking scheme that lists what are the checkpoints to achieve certain marks - or perhaps a range of samples with their grades - to allow us to distinguish between a poor one from a good one, or from a good one to an even better one.

Cheers

vksp
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:12 pm

ameryeducation wrote:As far as I am aware, there is a marking scheme, but it is "supposed" to be kept confidential by teachers. It is band-based marking with characteristics per band, with discretion given to teachers to award marks as they deem fit within each band. Due to its "restricted" nature, it is not available publicly.

But then again, I don't think students should learn writing based on knowledge of the marking scheme. Good writing is good writing, and any decent teacher will be able to differentiate good from bad.

Hi,
I am speaking from the perspective of an ex sec sch EL teacher. This may or may not be relevant to you as I'm not sure if you will be entering Sec 1 nxt year. If you are not, please ignore this :D

Yes, correct. The marking scheme is restricted.

And I second ameryeducation's 2nd para. At this point, I can only suggest that you need to ensure that you have a sound grasp of your grammar and vocab.

Anyway, along the way, during the EL lessons, your teacher is bound to highlight/provide good and not so good model essays as part and parcel of teaching essay writing skills.

Just take note of your teacher's comments in you work and ensure that you clarify if you have any doubts.

My 2 cents worth .... go for your EL lessons with a clear mind, pay v close attention in class, absorb what you have learnt and apply the skills/comments taught/given :D

All the best ... :D
Last edited by autumnbronze on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vksp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:30 pm

autumnbronze wrote:Yes, correct. The marking scheme is restricted. And I second ameryeducation's 2nd para. And no offence, trying to write based on the knowledge of the marking scheme is not a good start towards your sec sch education. At this point, I can only suggest that you need to ensure that you have a sound grasp of your grammar and vocab.

Anyway, along the way, during the EL lessons, your teacher is bound to highlight/provide good and not so good model essays as part and parcel of teaching essay writing skills.

Just take note of your teacher's comments in you work and ensure that you clarify if you have any doubts.

My 2 cents worth .... go for your EL lessons with a clear mind, pay v close attention in class, absorb what you have learnt and apply the skills/comments taught/given :D

Given that teachers already know these criteria, there must be a systematic path for someone to grow accordingly. For example, if a student has nice vocabulary, but have some issues with tenses - what area should he focus.

Some students might be trying to work on their storyline - how to start and how to end, but their sentence structure is weak. Then, what is the advice to them? Should they focused on improving their sentence structure first followed by improving the starting and ending. Ideally, one can improve both at the same time. However, the range of possible sentence structures is large, and having a good introduction is also not easy. For those who are already good at composition, the criteria are not an issue. FOr those weaker ones, some systematic path would be useful.

vksp
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Joy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:59 am

autumbronze

cannot agree more with what you have written.

autumnbronze wrote:Hi,
I am speaking from the perspective of an ex sec sch EL teacher. This may or may not be relevant to you as I'm not sure if you will be entering Sec 1 nxt year. If you are not, please ignore this :D

Yes, correct. The marking scheme is restricted.

And I second ameryeducation's 2nd para. At this point, I can only suggest that you need to ensure that you have a sound grasp of your grammar and vocab.

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:33 am

vksp wrote:
autumnbronze wrote:Yes, correct. The marking scheme is restricted. And I second ameryeducation's 2nd para. And no offence, trying to write based on the knowledge of the marking scheme is not a good start towards your sec sch education. At this point, I can only suggest that you need to ensure that you have a sound grasp of your grammar and vocab.

Given that teachers already know these criteria, there must be a systematic path for someone to grow accordingly. For example, if a student has nice vocabulary, but have some issues with tenses - what area should he focus.

Some students might be trying to work on their storyline - how to start and how to end, but their sentence structure is weak. Then, what is the advice to them? Should they focused on improving their sentence structure first followed by improving the starting and ending. Ideally, one can improve both at the same time. However, the range of possible sentence structures is large, and having a good introduction is also not easy. For those who are already good at composition, the criteria are not an issue. FOr those weaker ones, some systematic path would be useful.

Hi vksp,

Have PMed you :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby atutor2001 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:29 am

My kids' school not so secretive leh. I saw a marking scheme for "O" level before but couldn't find it - too long ago liao. But it goes something like this :

Contents : 50%
1. Plot
2. Realism

Language : 50%
1. Structure
2. Grammar

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:27 am

vksp and acekids, hve PM you.

autumnbronze