English dictionary

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

English dictionary

Postby magicpiglet » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Thinking of getting an eng dictionary ( book) for my primary one girl, any recommendation? Saw an Oxford one, reccommended for primary sch student, there are some small visuals n blue colour fonts compare to others no pic n just black font, wonder which shall I get,understand the one for pri sch will have lesser words included?

magicpiglet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: English dictionary

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Check the no. of headwords or entries included in the dictionary. For a Pr student, something around 40,000 should be ample. But if your child is not a good reader and is frightened off by such a dictionary, you may want to get a simpler one for the first couple of years. And yes, the no. of entries will increase, and the vocab used to define the entries will get wider as the dictionaries get more complex.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: English dictionary

Postby magicpiglet » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Check the no. of headwords or entries included in the dictionary. For a Pr student, something around 40,000 should be ample. But if your child is not a good reader and is frightened off by such a dictionary, you may want to get a simpler one for the first couple of years. And yes, the no. of entries will increase, and the vocab used to define the entries will get wider as the dictionaries get more complex.

Ok thanks, will go take a look again as I just browsed through the dictionary section.

magicpiglet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support