How to start Science Revision?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to start Science Revision?

Postby bitchymum » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:17 pm

I have got the text books, the guide books and the assessment books. I intend to start science revision but I dunno how. Should I go thru the text book first, then the guide book, then give my gal her assessment?

bitchymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cafelatte » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:02 pm

I don't believe in teaching in advance of the school's pace. I let the science teacher cover the topic first, I will look through the school worksheets and take note of the wrong answers. Then I discuss them with my child. After that I provide assessment books as revision.

If I teach my child in advance, he will get bored and complacent during lesson, develop the bad habit of not paying attention and talking in class.

However, before the term starts, I already have guide books at home and he will read through them in his leisure.

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby coolit » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 am

Maybe you could whet her appetite for science by letting her view interesting science videos online that are related to the topics? Otherwise I find reading through and explaining the topic to her in advance might help but it depends on your child, your child might get bored during lessons and 'switch off' when the teacher is teaching..

Best way is the guide her through guidebook and assessment books when teacher is teaching that particular topic and widen her interest in that topic by going online..

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 am

I do it in another way. I will first cover the Science textbook to let dd has an idea on what is expected. The materials in the textbook are quite limited and shallow. There are areas unclear. I will tell dd to pay attention on these areas when the teacher teaches in the class.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetstar » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 pm

I am not sure if it's exactly the right method for mastering science, but i always emphasize on writing notes. Mind maps will come in useful as well.

I have been sourcing for websites with good science notes. Maybe you guys will want to check them out for yourself:

http://www.smashingexams.com.sg/Sample/Sample.htm
http://www.tanw.net/freestudyguides.php

And they come free too! :D
Last edited by jetstar on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetstar
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Lynn2 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 am

If not doing mindmapping, but study thr ough the understanding of sci concept, memory work then comes in easier...does that happen in this way?thanks

jetstar wrote:I am not sure if it's exactly the right method for mastering science, but i always emphasize on writing notes. Mind maps will come in useful as well.

I have been sourcing for websites with good science notes. Maybe you guys will want to check them out for yourself:

http://www.tanwj.net/freestudyguides.php
http://www.smashingexams.com.sg/Sample/Sample.htm

And they come free too! :D

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lithilara » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:03 pm

I would suggest letting your child read through each topic and after every topic, made either a mind map or a list of the main concepts of that particular topic.

That way, your child can easily look through and refer whenever she needs and also, it would help to let her remember what she is writing down.

Pure reading for memory would not work for most people as it tends to go in and come out very quickly, leaving very little retention of information.

Lithilara
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kenobi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Mindmap does not work for all children. It has many rules and it can be quite messy if you mindmap a whole topic on say plants.

I've taught both Mindmap and Concept Map to my class. It takes a very long time to work on a Mindmap and worst of all, not every child takes a liking to it.

Concept Map, on the other hand, has little rules and allows the teacher to demonstrate the concepts behind a topic fast. It's a very efficient teaching and learning tool.

I'd recommend that a child works on a concept map on his/her own for every topic completed.

kenobi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby TwaTau » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:08 pm

First of all, you got to get you kid interest into science. Best if you have real life example to explain to them the concepts, and take opportunity that comes by to relate to them.
What I did with my DD, who will be going to P3 next year, is to bring out the text book every night, just read through one chapter with her together, get her interested, and try to relate the daily encounter with the concept. She will come up with all kinds of example and link with the concept, and encourage her along the way. I think that will imprint on them better, and it won't become another subject and work for them.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kenobi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 pm

TwaTau wrote:First of all, you got to get you kid interest into science. Best if you have real life example to explain to them the concepts, and take opportunity that comes by to relate to them.
What I did with my DD, who will be going to P3 next year, is to bring out the text book every night, just read through one chapter with her together, get her interested, and try to relate the daily encounter with the concept. She will come up with all kinds of example and link with the concept, and encourage her along the way. I think that will imprint on them better, and it won't become another subject and work for them.

Totally agree. Quality time with children makes a big difference. It's the passion in Science you ignite your child with.

If your child starts talking about Science when he/she gets back from school, your child is blessed with a teacher who can ignite that passion.

At the end of the day, it's the precision in Science language that will make a great difference in standards. For example, you can't write "Gravity increases with height" but you can write "Gravitational potential energy increases with height".

In promoting Science interests in children, do not neglect precision in language.

kenobi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support