Do you send your kids to academic tuition/enrichment because

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

you see some areas of weakness in your child?
33%
the school recommends you to do so?
No votes
I am responding to the last CA, SA or test poor results?
3%
my child needs to be challenged even tho schoolwork is fine?
10%
I want to prepare my child ahead?
37%
my child has alot of free time?
7%
I have no time and I feel my child needs to be engaged all the time
7%
I do not know how to teach my child
3%
my child is very gifted and I don't know how to handle such a child
No votes

Total votes : 30

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:57 pm

I often wonder what is the key motivating factor for primary school parents to send their kids to academic enrichment/tuition whether in a school or 1-1 sessions?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 pm

For those that want to prepare ahead, is it mainly the kids that are going onto P1 or is it for all levels? Since this is a forum abt kiasuism, I believe we can be open to discuss this without being shot or judged right?

Postby Fettuccine » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:38 pm

ks2me wrote:For those that want to prepare ahead, is it mainly the kids that are going onto P1 or is it for all levels? Since this is a forum abt kiasuism, I believe we can be open to discuss this without being shot or judged right?

For me, son not going to any enrichment classes at the moment. Cos his kindergarten already preparing him at P1 standard :D , now he is doing P1 assessment at home. Thats more than enough for him and only thing I would like to add for enrichment is abacus or kumon for math. Hope to bring him for an assessment for kumon and see how it goes. We are still looking for a nearby abacus class nearby, and see if which trials works best for him.

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lurline » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Fettuccine,

I am sending my boy to CMA tampines today, first lesson. Shd be quite close to yr place.

Lurline

lurline
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Do you send your kids to academic tuition/enrichment bec

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:01 pm

I couldn't decide between 'I want to prepare my child ahead' or 'I do not know how to teach my child', then i chose the latter cos

My K2 boy is currently on
1. math enrichment - big waste of $$ and certainly does nothing in preparing him ahead as i do a better job at coaching him at home. now waiting for the term to end else will forfeit my deposit.
2. chinese enrichment - i really dunno how to teach and it is a case of making my kid is onpar with his peers rather than being ahead as he speaks only english at home.
3. swimming - i dunno how to swim.... :oops:
4. phonics - will be dropping that in a months time and doing coaching at home.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Fettuccine wrote:
ks2me wrote:For those that want to prepare ahead, is it mainly the kids that are going onto P1 or is it for all levels? Since this is a forum abt kiasuism, I believe we can be open to discuss this without being shot or judged right?

For me, son not going to any enrichment classes at the moment. Cos his kindergarten already preparing him at P1 standard :D , now he is doing P1 assessment at home. Thats more than enough for him and only thing I would like to add for enrichment is abacus or kumon for math. Hope to bring him for an assessment for kumon and see how it goes. We are still looking for a nearby abacus class nearby, and see if which trials works best for him.

Depending what school he goes to, I believe preparing a little ahead helps. Some schools really hv high stds but for schools with lower stds, maybe a little bored?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:26 pm

jedamum wrote:I couldn't decide between 'I want to prepare my child ahead' or 'I do not know how to teach my child', then i chose the latter cos

My K2 boy is currently on
1. math enrichment - big waste of $$ and certainly does nothing in preparing him ahead as i do a better job at coaching him at home. now waiting for the term to end else will forfeit my deposit.
2. chinese enrichment - i really dunno how to teach and it is a case of making my kid is onpar with his peers rather than being ahead as he speaks only english at home.
3. swimming - i dunno how to swim.... :oops:
4. phonics - will be dropping that in a months time and doing coaching at home.

To some extent, it is really quite hard to teach own kid.

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:30 pm

ks2me wrote:I often wonder what is the key motivating factor for primary school parents to send their kids to academic enrichment/tuition whether in a school or 1-1 sessions?

I think the poll will be more useful if we could select the options in order of importance. I couldnt make up my mind what is the single more important criteria. Not sure of the rest though. Thoughts, anyone?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:52 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:
ks2me wrote:I often wonder what is the key motivating factor for primary school parents to send their kids to academic enrichment/tuition whether in a school or 1-1 sessions?

I think the poll will be more useful if we could select the options in order of importance. I couldnt make up my mind what is the single more important criteria. Not sure of the rest though. Thoughts, anyone?

How to do this in polling? anyone can advise? I thot polling is one choice, since radio button. In any case, I thot abt same question as you, hence I put KEY....ie. in most situations u send yr kid, it is due to that same reason.....

Postby Fettuccine » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:56 pm

lurline wrote:Hi Fettuccine,

I am sending my boy to CMA tampines today, first lesson. Shd be quite close to yr place.

Lurline

Hi lurline,

Let us know how is today's lesson. Hopefully they have branch in marine parade area. I used to stay in Pasir Ris :wink:

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support