Homework Supervison (Limited Time)

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Homework Supervison (Limited Time)

Postby titank » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:57 am

Hi All,

Normally when the kid are in PM session, they would reach home around 7pm to 7.30 pm depend on the distance. Assuming take dinner, shower then start doing homework would be around 8.30pm. :cry:

Normally the kid can be stretch until what time then they really too tired to continue? We are both working parents, presuming we go home on the dot (Even the boss angry also no chocie) we the most only have the evening to supervise the homework from school. The next morning is totally out for us as we have to go work again. :!:

Really have to sacrifice where one parent to be FT Housewife or Houseman then to achieve this? Hope to hear some expert advices.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am
Total Likes: 4


Postby kiasimom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:35 am

Hi titank,

before I am a Sahm, I faced the same problem as you.

The only time I have to revise homework with my children
is after their dinner.

My children will sleep at 11 pm latest. That way they should
have at least 9 to 10 hours of sleep.

But of course, I will have to sleep lesser hours.

The evening is the only time I can spend with my children.

That's why the government is moving towards single
session.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby buds hubs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:13 am

I face the same problem.. :cry: Being a FTWD, evening & weekends
are the only time that I have to spend quallity time with buds & DDs..

Thankfully :pray: buds is a SAHM. However, I still need to go through DDs
schoolwork in order to roughly gauge her level of understanding.

Apart from that, there's also violin & piano lessons that I have to go through
with them and normally this would be done in the evening.
Unfortunately, buds cant help them in this...

By this time, both DDs would already be too tired to concentrate....

buds hubs
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 2:23 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby titank » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:35 am

kiasimom wrote:Hi titank,

before I am a Sahm, I faced the same problem as you.

The only time I have to revise homework with my children
is after their dinner.

My children will sleep at 11 pm latest. That way they should
have at least 9 to 10 hours of sleep.

But of course, I will have to sleep lesser hours.

The evening is the only time I can spend with my children.

That's why the government is moving towards single
session.


Ya if DW convert to SAHM which mean lost of income for the family. Also next time want to re-enter the workforce would face some form of obstacles. :stupid:

School convert to single session is a good move but still working parents like us how early can we leave the workplace. Maybe I have to consider doing some form of freelance professional job.
:celebrate:

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am
Total Likes: 4


Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Just to share, a staff in my mum's company has a girl in P1 this year and to allow for better work-life balance, my mum has made a special arrangement for this staff.

Their office regular working hours is 8am - 5pm, inclusive of 1 hour lunch break.

Previously when this same staff's girl was in childcare, her work hours was readjusted to 7am - 4pm. Her mum will send her girl to childcare while she came to work and she'll pick her girl up after work by 5pm.

Now that her girl has entered P1 and is in the afternoon session, her working hours has changed to 11.30am - 7.30pm (no lunch break). She spends time in the morning with her girl and leaves home at 11am. She takes a cab to work since there's no peak hour charges. In the evening, her hb picks her girl up, then picks her up and they get to spend the evening together.

If your boss is flexible and willing to negotiate work hours, I think it can be done.

Another alternative my mum gave her was to work shorter hours on weekdays but come back on Saturday mornings when her girl has ballet & tuition.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby windows » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 pm

we're facing the same problem. ds has homeowrk since Day3, he is v tired after dinner and bath, which is alr 8+. the other force him to complete and he kept yawning refuse to think. i have to let him do on his own in the am, and not sure how he is doing cos teacher never return the worksheets. weekends are also q packed...don't even have time for parks etc...feel so miserable...any advice on better time management?

windows
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:11 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Homework Supervison (Limited Time)

Postby tankee » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:52 am

titank wrote:Hi All,

Normally when the kid are in PM session, they would reach home around 7pm to 7.30 pm depend on the distance. Assuming take dinner, shower then start doing homework would be around 8.30pm. :cry:

Normally the kid can be stretch until what time then they really too tired to continue? We are both working parents, presuming we go home on the dot (Even the boss angry also no chocie) we the most only have the evening to supervise the homework from school. The next morning is totally out for us as we have to go work again. :!:

Really have to sacrifice where one parent to be FT Housewife or Houseman then to achieve this? Hope to hear some expert advices.



I am facing the same challenge as you ... :(

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Postby radiantmum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 am

Try BASCs. They will supervise their homework and make sure that the kids complete them and so, their time home with you will be the quality time you spend with them.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:36 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Emelyn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:59 pm

radiantmum wrote:Try BASCs. They will supervise their homework and make sure that the kids complete them and so, their time home with you will be the quality time you spend with them.


My kids are in BASC. And yes, by the time I pick them up at 5:30pm. All homework done. I also adjusted by working hours.... to 7:30am to 5pm. So after send them to sch in the morning, I go to work. And since it is still early and no disturbance in the office, I got more work done !!

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby titank » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:23 pm

BASC? How can I determine the good BASC where they would help supervise the homework? Now going to be 24/7 parents once the kid enter P1. :!:

Currently my DS in P1 where in afternoon session.So guess even I put them in BASC in the morning does not seem to help very much.Just a few hours where they have to go school already.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am
Total Likes: 4


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support