Maths and English assessment books for P3 and P6

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Maths and English assessment books for P3 and P6

Postby octopusmum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:39 pm

HI all

i am new to this forum, just joined yesterday. need to seek some advice on what are the good maths and english assessment books to get for P3 and P6. always ended up buying sth which r not v good so think better seek some advice here. thks

regards

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Maths reference

Postby Bear.w.me » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 am

Fabian Ng has Maths Process Skills series at every primary level. The advantages of this book is step by step examples and from lower to higher order process skills progression.

Another one is Challenging Maths Made Easy by Ammiel Wan. I heard it provides good insight/strategies in solving A* questions.

For English, usually i use top schools exam papers. They can be found at www.misskoh.com and English Threads in KSP.

At KSP various Level Maths Forum Threads, Mathsguru and other Maths Masters like Tianzhu and Dharma and ace students like Muffins and Vanilla Cakes are always available to help with any challenging maths rquestions. Also not forgeting James Ang and Mrswongtuition who are professional tutors.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby octopusmum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 am

Hi bear.w.me

thks for the reply. i have the Problem solving process by Fabian Ng. Recommended by my eldest's form teacher. this is the maths process skill series u are referring to?
i also have the challenging maths made easy, again recommended by the same teacher.
i will usually buy whole set of other schools' exam papers which include all subjects at the beginning of the year, also go to Miss koh website to "top up".
i guess i have enough choices for maths but english and science are the problematic one, not sure which book to get...
thks for telling me who are the "experts" in this forum, will definitely seek their help in future!
thks
regards

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

My take on learning maths

Postby Bear.w.me » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:27 am

Speaking out of my own experience and coaching dd1 for PSLE, I must say learning maths has to do a lot with inherent (aptitude) qualities like attentive, repetitive, do-it-right and never give up (try until you get the answers, using different ways in the process of course).

What happened in PSLE last year was precisely that...one last question (and a few earlier questions in the same paper) which many pupils strong in maths would take more than 15 minutes to solve...not the working itself but the thinking behind it to comprehend the question and choose the right approach. Many experts in the KSP maths forum have shown strategies like model, simultaneous equation and heuristic (commonsense logic) can be used to solve that kind of question. Also PSLE all time favorite topics like speed and geometry.

So students need to be familiar with multiple strategies by doing really PSLE type of questions. Many text books fall short on that.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby octopusmum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:05 am

Hi Bear.w.me

thks v much for the tip. glad i was introduced to this forum cause i am at a loss on how to prepare my son for psle this year....i am hoping that his teacher will teach them how to tackle psle type of questions. my son did well in his maths exam in pri 5 and okay for science but his language (both english and chinese) is pretty weak. and my neighbour told me that it is not enough to be good in maths and science, there must be at least one A* in either english or chinese to guarantee an overall high score. do u know if that is true?

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

T-score versus Grades

Postby Bear.w.me » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 am

Hi, sorry i am not realy active in this forum during weekends.

Your neighbour is correct. Also note that higher mother tongue in secondary is offered only to those who attain at least a MERIT in HMT (HMT is not graded but with mention of either PASS, MERIT or DISTINCTION) or (A* in Chinese and A in English) HMT is important if a child ends up in 'O' Level track for consideration into JC.

My take on T-score and Grades are:

1. that they are not related directly
2. T-score seems to be contributed by (main factor) the cohort's overall performance
and some how i personally feel (no proof) strongly that school cohort, school locations, students past records and CCA, DSA attempts etc...do play a minor part in posting of children to various school (T-score in my opinion is a tool to influence student distribution to various school of course still base on cohort's performance as a basis; otherwise students may concentrate on several schools only)[/list]
3. I offer point (2) just to explain why there are cases with same grades of subjects yet the T-score can be totally different. The saying about high A or low A does not hold water as far as I am concern because the disparity between high A and low A so to speak cannot be that wide as to influence the T-score greatly. Please look at PSLE 2009 results thread.
4. One thing for sure is our child needs to be above the mean score of the whole cohort to get a better T-score. Any one subject that is below the mean score is enough to pull the total T-score down (related to main factor).
5. As far as school teachers are concerned especially at neighbor hood schools that I know they only limit themselves to using SAP past year PSLE booklet; these are certainly not sufficient
6. So if you can, allow your child attends private tuition. I recall that even our political leaders' sons and daughters are having private language tuition especially in Chinese Language

Note: I better not get carried away in saying so much about PSLE, later ChiefKS will move this posting to somewhere else.

P/S: sorry for my strong view here. No offence intended. I am still learning and understanding the system too.
Last edited by Bear.w.me on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby octopusmum » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm

HI Bear.w.me
don't know why i didn't receive any email to prompt me that there was a reply...i happened to see your latest reply after i clicked the link to read your previous reply. getting worried now after reading your post...
i sent my kid to Berries for Higher chinese lessons since pri 1 and recently, sent him to Han Language for chinese oral lessons. Not sure if they are sufficient but this is the best considering the amt of time we have...

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Do not worry too much

Postby Bear.w.me » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi Octopusmum,

Please do not worry too much. Everyone goes through the same thing. I do not even know this info until my child was in P6. So you know it at very early stage.

I think if your child is already getting Chinese Language tuition since P1 it should be alright.

Also, KSP has many helpful parents (really) becaus ethey help me out too in anothe thread. Try following other threads especially Primary School Preparation...threads they are useful.

About PSLE, consistency across all subjects are crucial as all subjects have equal weightage. Just keep up the good work from P1 to P6 then everything will be alright.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby octopusmum » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm

hi bear.w.me

thks v much for the assurance. i have to keep reminding myself not to stress my son too much also in case it backfires...
regards

octopusmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby speedmaths.com » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:42 am

You may buy P3 and P6 Maths books (e.g. Tops Schools' Exam Papers and Model Answers) published under Amazing Books, from any Popular Book store; ask the staff at the store.

The questions are based on those set by Top Primary Schools in S'pore, and all the books come with step-by-step solutions for all the questions.

=
HI all

i am new to this forum, just joined yesterday. need to seek some advice on what are the good maths and english assessment books to get for P3 and P6. always ended up buying sth which r not v good so think better seek some advice here. thks

regards

speedmaths.com
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support