Changes in S'pore Education System

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Changes in S'pore Education System

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 am

Singapore's education system must move beyond emphasis on results

By Ca-Mie De Souza, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 14 August 2008 1839 hrs

SINGAPORE : Singapore's Education Minister Ng Eng Hen said the country's education system must move beyond academic achievements and offer students more individual attention.

Dr Ng was outlining the future education system at the 4th anniversary Public Lecture at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy on Thursday.

In 1980, only 58 per cent of Primary 1 students completed secondary school. Today, the figure is 98.4 per cent.

In a 2003 international study on mathematics and science, students in Singapore aged between 10 and 14 years old came out tops among 49 countries.

Dr Ng said this was due to the good education policy put in place over the years, including the use of English as the medium of instruction, the bilingual policy, streaming, good teachers, curriculum and pedagogy.

But going forward, there will be greater expectations. Dr Ng noted that parents today are better educated and have more financial resources, so he said there must be more teachers, so students get more individual attention.

The teachers must also have higher qualifications. And to do that, schools must also have more autonomy.

"We need to re-balance the education system so that we can maintain the academic rigour,... yet at the same time create space and structure... for the school to (achieve) these other aspects and impart values," said Dr Ng.

As for graduates of the Institute of Technical Education and Polytechnics, apart from creating a 4th publicly-funded university, the Ministry of Education will explore ways to help them upgrade during their careers.

However, some parents were concerned that schools now may be chasing key performance indicators at the expense of long-term goals.

"One of the things I hope won't happen is that those ideas, after implementation, will not be lost, because sometimes when it goes down the next level, it may become another set of goals, another set of numbers," said Angeline Soo, a mother of two children.

Dr Ng emphasised that while Singapore's first class education system is respected internationally, it can always do better. And that means a delicate balance between continuing with what has worked well and, at the same time, not closing the doors on new innovations. - CNA /ls

1) Offer students more individual attention = further reduce class size to 20?

2) Parents have more financial resources = to send their children to enrichment / tuition so that teachers need not teach? BTW, the so call teach in sch is touch & go.

Or does it mean that to deploy more teachers, sch fees would go up? Last time we don't have $300 per month for IS. Would such fees be implemented at primary level?

3) Teachers to impart value = good move. Now, character development programmes are run by parent volunteers.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:26 am

The way I read it??

School fees is going up....setting the stage...
*sigh* No concrete plans just keep digging at our pockets.

A concrete action plan with objectives to achieve would be great to know plus the price tag behind it. :roll:

Postby kaitlynangelica » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47 am

ks2me wrote:The way I read it??

School fees is going up....setting the stage...
*sigh* No concrete plans just keep digging at our pockets.

A concrete action plan with objectives to achieve would be great to know plus the price tag behind it. :roll:

It's not just about school fees...............its about more pressure on the kids too. Sigh!

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Changes in S'pore Education System

Postby Faun » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 am

"I shall not let schooling interfere with my education"
-- Mark Twain

Our school system is like a mill. Parents have to decide if you want your child to end up like one of the same many. Do you think our system are developing thinkers or just people who are always thinking of getting right answers? By the amount of assessment books and ten years series our kids do, it's no wonder they grow up afraid to or bother to think different.

I am glad Singapore kids now have a choice to do IBDP and also the Yale-NUS liberal arts college has arrived. This country has been run by technocrats for so many years. It had worked in the early years of Singapore but I think we need to start to think of finding the 'soul' in this country.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Thu May 05, 2011 8:28 am

Faun wrote:"I shall not let schooling interfere with my education"
-- Mark Twain

Our school system is like a mill. Parents have to decide if you want your child to end up like one of the same many. Do you think our system are developing thinkers or just people who are always thinking of getting right answers? By the amount of assessment books and ten years series our kids do, it's no wonder they grow up afraid to or bother to think different.

Well said. I constantly make clear to my son that this or that thing he is doing is Right or Wrong because he needs to score at exams. Privately, I encourage intellectual independence. I teach him to challenge TRUTH as has been taught to him. This can backfire because they will often put me in a spot with their logic and I have to back down. But then fair is fair, if I want intellectual independence, I must be willing to concede their point if well made and well argued.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu May 05, 2011 8:59 am

caroline3sg wrote:Singapore's education system must move beyond emphasis on results

By Ca-Mie De Souza, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 14 August 2008 1839 hrs

SINGAPORE : Singapore's Education Minister Ng Eng Hen said the country's education system must move beyond academic achievements and offer students more individual attention.

Dr Ng was outlining the future education system at the 4th anniversary Public Lecture at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy on Thursday.

In 1980, only 58 per cent of Primary 1 students completed secondary school. Today, the figure is 98.4 per cent.

In a 2003 international study on mathematics and science, students in Singapore aged between 10 and 14 years old came out tops among 49 countries.

Dr Ng said this was due to the good education policy put in place over the years, including the use of English as the medium of instruction, the bilingual policy, streaming, good teachers, curriculum and pedagogy.

But going forward, there will be greater expectations. Dr Ng noted that parents today are better educated and have more financial resources, so he said there must be more teachers, so students get more individual attention.

The teachers must also have higher qualifications. And to do that, schools must also have more autonomy.

"We need to re-balance the education system so that we can maintain the academic rigour,... yet at the same time create space and structure... for the school to (achieve) these other aspects and impart values," said Dr Ng.

As for graduates of the Institute of Technical Education and Polytechnics, apart from creating a 4th publicly-funded university, the Ministry of Education will explore ways to help them upgrade during their careers.

However, some parents were concerned that schools now may be chasing key performance indicators at the expense of long-term goals.

"One of the things I hope won't happen is that those ideas, after implementation, will not be lost, because sometimes when it goes down the next level, it may become another set of goals, another set of numbers," said Angeline Soo, a mother of two children.

Dr Ng emphasised that while Singapore's first class education system is respected internationally, it can always do better. And that means a delicate balance between continuing with what has worked well and, at the same time, not closing the doors on new innovations. - CNA /ls

1) Offer students more individual attention = further reduce class size to 20?

2) Parents have more financial resources = to send their children to enrichment / tuition so that teachers need not teach? BTW, the so call teach in sch is touch & go.

Or does it mean that to deploy more teachers, sch fees would go up? Last time we don't have $300 per month for IS. Would such fees be implemented at primary level?

3) Teachers to impart value = good move. Now, character development programmes are run by parent volunteers.

Wait... I just noticed that this piece of news was unveiled in 2008? How to have individualized attention with such LARGE classes in 2011? Are these just pretty words then?

How come P5 and P6 parents are scrambling to provide tuition and coach their kids if the system is supposed to provide individualized attention? See this KSP thread. http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 27&t=21096

Another promise made but not kept?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Faun » Fri May 06, 2011 2:01 am

Chenonceau wrote:
Faun wrote:"I shall not let schooling interfere with my education"
-- Mark Twain

Well said. I constantly make clear to my son that this or that thing he is doing is Right or Wrong because he needs to score at exams. Privately, I encourage intellectual independence. I teach him to challenge TRUTH as has been taught to him. This can backfire because they will often put me in a spot with their logic and I have to back down. But then fair is fair, if I want intellectual independence, I must be willing to concede their point if well
made and well argued.

An intelligent mind is one that is always learning but not concluding. My dd English and Social Studies teachers do philosophy lessons with them from time to time. The kids will be posed a real live problem during their
Socratic Circle and they'd naturally be usinig their logical minds to try to solve but at the end they just can't draw a conclusion. They realize that many human emotions and actions are illogical.

dd usually brings those problems the teacher gave her home and we have a great time discussing the problem or arguing about what is right or wrong over family dinners together. It's fun.

All said, there's exam where speed and accuracy in answer is so important so practice is necessary. There is a lot of merit in our system but it's not perfect. Let's enjoy and appreciate it goodness and do damage control in whatever way we can. Meantime, :nunchuk: :rant:

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Faun » Fri May 06, 2011 2:05 am

about class size. my dd school has 30 for p1 and p2. p3 onwards it is back to 40. Sometime even 42. :cry:

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Fri May 06, 2011 7:38 am

Faun wrote:An intelligent mind is one that is always learning but not concluding. My dd English and Social Studies teachers do philosophy lessons with them from time to time. The kids will be posed a real live problem during their
Socratic Circle and they'd naturally be usinig their logical minds to try to solve but at the end they just can't draw a conclusion. They realize that many human emotions and actions are illogical.

Well said again... though I tend to believe that with enough information a conclusion can very often be drawn... but I do very much agree that an inquiring mind is sceptical about conclusions because one never really knows enough to conclude/judge.

Faun wrote:All said, there's exam where speed and accuracy in answer is so important so practice is necessary. There is a lot of merit in our system but it's not perfect. Let's enjoy and appreciate it goodness and do damage control in whatever way we can. Meantime, :nunchuk: :rant:

Yes... I value the emphasis on speed and accuracy too. My son's teacher had a diplomatic word with me in P3 and I realised then that I had failed to focus there. And it is always wise to focus on the blessings we have than the blessings we don't have.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby QuiteKSMum » Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 am

Chenonceau wrote:
And it is always wise to focus on the blessings we have than the blessings we don't have.

True, only by counting our blessings then we can stay positive...There's too many "unblessings" in this world, if we dwell too much on them, we can never be happy with what we have... :love: :celebrate:

QuiteKSMum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support