Classrooms Cleaning

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Classrooms Cleaning

Postby BigDevil » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:40 am

I remembered that during my time in primary school (which is many years ago), we have this thing called 值日生. The memory is very vague now, and I can only recall having to clean the blackboard before the next teacher arrives. I also remember we have to sweep the classroom, and clean the windows...though probably not on a daily basis, and it's done by the entire class rather than just by the 值日生 himself.

Do they still have that practice of having the students clean the classrooms in primary school these days?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:09 am

I am not sure if the children do it daily, only heard they need to tidy up.

Her school had "Cleanest classroom" contest last year, not sure again if it is yearly event.

Also, they have the community service time where they will go round to pick litter in the school(think about 4 times she did) and it is recorded in the report book under the CCAs page on community service. Does that count?

Postby BigDevil » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 am

I know they will be performing community service. But what I have in mind is not something they will be getting CCA credit for, nor is it any form of competition.

The 值日生 is a job/task which the students take turn performing and there is one (or more...can't remember) on duty every school day.

And the major classroom cleaning (sweep floor, clean windows/desk/chairs, etc) are done perhaps once a term.

Being assigned a duty gives them a sense of responsibility, and they will be proud of themselves for a job well done. It will also make them appreciate the hard work being put into keeping the school/home clean. So I hope this is still being practiced in schools...or at least my DD's school.
Last edited by BigDevil on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby MMM » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:06 am

In my kids' case, I heard that they are assigned to clean the tuckshop table for their class. They have a duty roster. I am not too sure about cleaning classrooms given that they are in a new school. But I felt that it's good as she will help me to clean up at home too as a result of this "practise in school".

I recalled that in my sec days (convent school), we had just moved to a new school and we were required to clean up every term. Our classrooms, common areas and assigned areas.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support