primary school syllabus

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

primary school syllabus

Postby kamponggirl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:58 pm

hi everyone...I'm a new to this forum and having read some of the info, I find it usefull, so if there is anyone out the who can help me out on this matter, I'm very grateful

I'm really concern with primary sch syllabus, esp for English,...
My girlie just begins P1 a school at Bt Bato, I was informed she will not hv any assessment or exams, hwr, a relative told me that her girl who is attending P1 in a sch at CCK (that produced a top PSLE scorer last yr) will hv assesment/exam.
Futhermore, I found out the textbooks used by the 2 sch are different. This is very puzzling as I thought fr P1 onwards, which is considered formal edn and thus to achieve a national standard of ed, the textbooks used should be the same???!!
One main concern is especially for english, my girl does not have any textbk or workbk but the other sch has at least 4 different bks - covers from handwriting, comprehension, language usage and grammar...Having discovered this difference, it is really getting me very worried as english being the key subject... I'm wondering if I should consider to transfer my daughter to the school at CCK, I'm trying my best not to be over kiasu parent but unfortunately, the situation or environment is creating such unhealthy behaviour....this is only the 2nd week of the school term......!!

Can anyone share your views or comments?
Thank you!

kamponggirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lego » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:05 am

There's a list of approved textbooks that schools can choose from, so textbooks may vary between schools.
Eg Maths textbooks, approved textbooks include My pals are here Maths, Shaping Maths etc.
For English, schools that are on STELLAR programme may not have any textbooks but there will be worksheets to work on.
Why not contact your child's school teacher to find out more about it's English programme?

lego
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:22 am

kamponggirl, your kid's school may not ask the kids to buy workbook because they print the worksheets themselves, our school does that. For Stellar, there is no textbook per se but they have to do alot of work in class. Maybe the CCK school finds it troublesome to prepare the worksheets hence opted for a book. The teachers all have to be trained in delivering the Stellar programme, but they are empowered to provide the materials used for practice. There is also usually a story book recommended for reading to be bought since there is no textbook.

Postby kamponggirl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for both replies...yes, I do understand that schs may use different textbks, hwr, english being the main subject and when there is no text or guide bk used, parents will not know what have been taught in class.
Moreover, english language covers grammar, comprehension, vocabulary and sentence structure which i think would need structured lessons.....because when its assessment time (CA or SA or assesment bks), this is how the kids are being tested on, isn't it??

kamponggirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lizawa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:01 pm

If you are looking for the English syllabus officially adopted by MOE, this is where you can find more information :
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllabu ... iterature/

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 pm

kamponggirl wrote: english language covers grammar, comprehension, vocabulary and sentence structure which i think would need structured lessons.....because when its assessment time (CA or SA or assesment bks), this is how the kids are being tested on, isn't it??

Schools no longer teach grammar or vocab like our times. No formal grammar rules being taught eg. He is, They are. Grammar and vocab are introduced through stellar story books in class

Try to get hold of your girl's primary school past exam to get a better idea what she needs to know. Alternative, you can buy assessment books for her to practice
Last edited by sleepy on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:11 pm

kamponggirl wrote:Thanks for both replies...yes, I do understand that schs may use different textbks, hwr, english being the main subject and when there is no text or guide bk used, parents will not know what have been taught in class.
Moreover, english language covers grammar, comprehension, vocabulary and sentence structure which i think would need structured lessons.....because when its assessment time (CA or SA or assesment bks), this is how the kids are being tested on, isn't it??

Our school worksheets are broken down into grammar, vocabulary etc... per a certain topic. For example, P1, they will do Mrs Wishy Washy,...etc.. What they use to deliver the learning process are big story books read in class, so no textbooks on syntax of grammar if that is what you are asking.

Postby tankee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 pm

not to worry, Stellar programme does cover vocab, grammer, comprehension, etc etc it is just a more enjoyable & actual usage way to learn the language.

No written exam / test do NOT imply no assessment and being less ready for PSLE.

:wink:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 pm

ks2me wrote:kamponggirl, your kid's school may not ask the kids to buy workbook because they print the worksheets themselves, our school does that. .....

:stupid: at Tao Nan, parents are to buy the printed worksheets from school bookshop and hand them back to the teacher ... :lol:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:30 pm

tankee wrote:
ks2me wrote:kamponggirl, your kid's school may not ask the kids to buy workbook because they print the worksheets themselves, our school does that. .....

:stupid: at Tao Nan, parents are to buy the printed worksheets from school bookshop and hand them back to the teacher ... :lol:

Wah! :!: Then I should feel thankful my kid's school is printing and giving them free. Honestly speaking, it was alot of paper to print per "story" covered and at the beginning of the year, the PVs helped to sort out the topics printed. Initially I was shocked to find out last year that she did SO MUCH work in school after the worksheets were returned to her. And of course there were children ending with alot of homework to bring home last year too. They even printed worksheets for penmanship specifically(with guided dots for first line) for that topic. I must say the amount of work done looked impressive as much as many may still feel insecure about the Stellar programme with no textbooks.

I, for one, love no textbooks. This year, some teachers even keep their textbooks in school, so there are days only 1 book needs to be packed to school, so cool I feel. But another parent of the same class, told me she preferred textbooks to be brought home because she could do revision with the kid. So all parents have different schools of thoughts, hard for the school to fulfill everyone's wishes. :D

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support