English - How to Teach Comprehension Cloze

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

English - How to Teach Comprehension Cloze

Postby worldangel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:40 pm

I have always found this section extremely challenging to teach. Anyone knows of specific and effective ways to teach the kids how to score in comprehension cloze? I have been telling them that reading is important to increase their vocabulary range but even those who are avid readers seem to be struggling with this section... :?

Any input would be great! TIA! :pray:

worldangel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Jennifer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:59 am

When my younger boy was in P2 last year, the EL teacher made them underline the clues before/after the blanks.

My older boy managed to do well in such clozes. I think it is really a matter of practice and really reading a lot of good books.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 23424
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:10 pm
Total Likes: 109


Re: How to Teach Comprehension Cloze

Postby tired mom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 pm

worldangel wrote:I have always found this section extremely challenging to teach. Anyone knows of specific and effective ways to teach the kids how to score in comprehension cloze? I have been telling them that reading is important to increase their vocabulary range but even those who are avid readers seem to be struggling with this section... :?

Any input would be great! TIA! :pray:


do you mean comprehension cloze with or without helping words?

My daughter had no problems when there are helping words but without helping words, she can't do well. when i analyse, i found that she tends to use more general words, than specific words that are called for in the passage.

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:05 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Jean.H » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 pm

This is one big-headache area! It is very hard to teach, I tried using newspapers, it helped a little, especially if you put similar stories together, like all accident type together, all health type..but the improvement is not that drastic..I think this component, the children must read and read and read!

Jean.H
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:11 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby skyjuice » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Jean.H wrote:This is one big-headache area! It is very hard to teach, I tried using newspapers, it helped a little, especially if you put similar stories together, like all accident type together, all health type..but the improvement is not that drastic..I think this component, the children must read and read and read!


My boys' English tutor says to read through the entire passage first to know the content. Then approach the blanks. At P5 & P6, answers may not be found before or after the blanks. May be in next sentence or within the paragraph instead. Given these techniques, Cloze is still difficult for my son.

skyjuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:19 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby westmom » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:29 am

skyjuice wrote:
Jean.H wrote:This is one big-headache area! It is very hard to teach, I tried using newspapers, it helped a little, especially if you put similar stories together, like all accident type together, all health type..but the improvement is not that drastic..I think this component, the children must read and read and read!


My boys' English tutor says to read through the entire passage first to know the content. Then approach the blanks. At P5 & P6, answers may not be found before or after the blanks. May be in next sentence or within the paragraph instead. Given these techniques, Cloze is still difficult for my son.


Lots of reading on "formal" articles will help..My approach was:
a) read entire passage to have a feel of content first
b) read the paragraph and underline clues
c) choose 2 or more suitable words and write neatly on top in pencil
d) Select the best word by "reading aloud" softly because sometimes the eyes are misleading. Write in your choice.
e) if get stuck, just select one and move on (get back if got time later)
f) Read the whole passage again after putting the words and check for grammar/spelling...common mistake here and a waste of marks lost on this..

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:29 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby worldangel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 pm

I have to say first that I am not yet a parent, but I am an English teacher :oops:

I find it very challenging to teach this particular area. I have told my pupils to read the entire passage and underline the clue and drawing arrow to point to the blank that it corresponds to. So far it doesn't seem to help much...the kids seemed to keep looking out for the 'wrong' clue and hence, they ended up with the wrong answer...

And yes, they kept losing marks cos of careless mistakes related to the wrong tense used or spelling mistake...

worldangel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:36 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby kitty2 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:03 pm

worldangel wrote:I have to say first that I am not yet a parent, but I am an English teacher :oops:

I find it very challenging to teach this particular area. I have told my pupils to read the entire passage and underline the clue and drawing arrow to point to the blank that it corresponds to. So far it doesn't seem to help much...the kids seemed to keep looking out for the 'wrong' clue and hence, they ended up with the wrong answer...

And yes, they kept losing marks cos of careless mistakes related to the wrong tense used or spelling mistake...


I think the problem is they don't know where to get the clue.Do you have any idea to tackle this big problem?

Thanks for sharing

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby tisha » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:04 am

westmom wrote:Lots of reading on "formal" articles will help..My approach was:
a) read entire passage to have a feel of content first
b) read the paragraph and underline clues
c) choose 2 or more suitable words and write neatly on top in pencil
d) Select the best word by "reading aloud" softly because sometimes the eyes are misleading. Write in your choice.
e) if get stuck, just select one and move on (get back if got time later)
f) Read the whole passage again after putting the words and check for grammar/spelling...common mistake here and a waste of marks lost on this..


:thankyou: westmom for sharing these tips. I've taught this to my DS and his score in this component has significantly increased, by religiously following these tips. Once all the blanks are filled in, re-reading the whole passage helps to eliminate the grammatical errors due tense/number etc.

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:19 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby janet88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13 am

Jean.H wrote:This is one big-headache area! It is very hard to teach, I tried using newspapers, it helped a little, especially if you put similar stories together, like all accident type together, all health type..but the improvement is not that drastic..I think this component, the children must read and read and read!


Agree with you...very tough to 'teach' this component of English but yet still have to find a way to handle it...Comprehension cloze (fill in the blanks) is 15 marks !!!
Sometimes it can be so tough to think of a suitable word but I tell my son to read and read that sentence again to see if there might be any clue along the way. If not, just have to make do with whatever he can think of. Just like last night, I was just going through a cloze with him on NETS.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 34160
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 112


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support