Wei Qi

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Wei Qi

Postby KS_me » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:14 am

Hi parent,

Does anyone of your kid taking this as CCA? What is the pro and cons? Many tell me is a good CCA but I'm not sure what to expect...

any :idea:

Thanks

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Wei Qi

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:31 am

KS_me wrote:Hi parent,

Does anyone of your kid taking this as CCA? What is the pro and cons? Many tell me is a good CCA but I'm not sure what to expect...

any :idea:

Thanks

It trains the mind to think steps ahead
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm

When would be a good age to introduce the child to weiqi?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby catddy2002 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Hmm...my son interested in Wei Qi too.
Does anyone know any places teaching this?

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby znzyzyzx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:37 pm

catddy2002 wrote:Hmm...my son interested in Wei Qi too.
Does anyone know any places teaching this?

WeiQi association. There are two offices : one in City (Middle road) , one in Bishan CC. check their website . www.weiqi.org.sg

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kaydenbrown » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:40 pm

I think by practice you can refine the techniques for weiqi. Then again, professional advice might be good too.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cognitive » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi parents

I have been teaching the game of Weiqi (GO) for afew years and have been the instructor for several schools.. But i have since stop teaching the game to focus on my research on cognitive psychology and neuroscience..

allow me to give my honest view on the game of Weiqi and explain several myths about learning the game..

There are several advantage the game could educate a child:

- importance of strategic thinking - from planning to overcoming obstacles, looking at the big picture and how to win the game eventually

- develop problem solving skills - the cognitive aspect of "thinking" for weiqi is identical to how our brains solve mathematics and creating inventions etc.. thus, learning weiqi could enhance the brain for problem solving (but not a guarantee)

- develop patience - yes a game of Weiqi would typically last for at least an hour or more, thus, one would need to develop good concentration skills for the game

The game of Weiqi is the best "brain training course" to develop the skills i have mention above. I have look around and nothing came close.. BUT

But unfortunately, one must be playing the game for at least afew years (2-3 yrs) to rip the benefit, for kids game of weiqi:

- they wouldn't need strategic thinking at beginner level

- kids game only required simple problem solving skills (or utilise simple memory)

- their game only last for about 10 mins, thus not much concentration is required

SO the game does not have any benefit at all if one would learn for afew lessons. And it is not enough to ensure a successful future for the kids if one only learns Weiqi alone.

The game of Weiqi is simple and fun to learn than compared to complex games like Chess (the rules could be taught in 30 mins and utilise nature concept of lines and space).

If the kid is interested in the game, with good instructors and continue on learning Weiqi for afew years, I would assure that Weiqi would have benefit the child

I think by practice you can refine the techniques for weiqi. Then again, professional advice might be good too.

Its hard to learn the game properly without proper environment"a class of equal skills player" is required so that the child could practice with different players and not getting bored

When would be a good age to introduce the child to weiqi?

I have taught children as young as 4 and they could catch up with the class. I would say 7-8 years old would be a good time to start learning the game in view of the neuro development as they explore "how to think"

Hey parents, i don't come to this forum often, but do post your questions here and i will reply if I could

cheers

cognitive
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Blobbi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi Cognitive,

I don't have any questions to ask about Weiqi - don't think my kid is interested as he's too squirmy. I'm more interested in cognitive psychology and neuroscience. I tried reading a few books on the latter and found it fascinating. Can you tell us more about it?

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Wei Qi

Postby KS_me » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 am

My daughter had it as a CCA only for a year in her primary school.

Basically, the child needs to love to use his/her brain and has the ability to sit still for a longer stretch of time. Those 'active' ones are unlikely to survive more than 6 months in it (will kena kick out by trainer for being a nuisance)... --> :lol: My son will be the first in the list
My daughter said quite boring after a while (she didn't manage to build a deeper interest into it). Nevertheless, at least she can play a decent game and can enjoy watching a match meaningfully (I know the rules of the games but not interested in it = also find it boring but guess there must be some others who like it the way I enjoy playing chess...)[/quote]

That's what I thought too... a boring CCA. Thanks for sharing!

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KS_me » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 am

Blobbi wrote:Hi Cognitive,

I don't have any questions to ask about Weiqi - don't think my kid is interested as he's too squirmy. I'm more interested in cognitive psychology and neuroscience. I tried reading a few books on the latter and found it fascinating. Can you tell us more about it?

Haha... you sidetrack liao...

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support