LEARNConcierge

How to improve English oral under the new syllabus?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: How to improve English oral under the new syllabus?

Postby TWS » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi All
I come across a oratory course preparing students for PSLE English Oral Exam offered by the enrichment centre my daughter is attending. Is a two day intensive package during the June holidays. Do pm me if you are interested to know..

TWS
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Claire88866 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi I am keen, I can't pm .not sure why.
My email address is tander1500@yahoo.com.sg
Thanks

Claire88866
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Claire88866 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm

TWS wrote:Hi All
I come across a oratory course preparing students for PSLE English Oral Exam offered by the enrichment centre my daughter is attending. Is a two day intensive package during the June holidays. Do pm me if you are interested to know..

Hi my email address is tander1500@yahoo.com.sg
I can't pm, not sure why
Thanks

Claire88866
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Claire88866 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:02 pm

TWS wrote:Hi All

Hi my email address is tander1500@yahoo.com.sg
I can't pm, not sure why
Thanks

Claire88866
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Claire88866 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi I am keen, I can't pm .not sure why.
My email address is tander1500@yahoo.com.sg
Thanks

Claire88866
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby meinteel » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Hey!

As a tutor, I've seen many quiet students do relatively well. In comparison, children who are extremely talkative may fair worst as they tend to go "out of point" or speak poorly (grammatical errors, repetitive points, random pauses etc).

The essence of oral tests the child's ability to effectively communicate his/her ideas to others NOT the amount of content your child is able to vomit in front of the examiner before we decide to stop them.

Encourage your child is speaking in full and proper sentences. They should be loud enough to be heard from slightly more than 2 arm's length away. The tone of which your child speak should vary according to the topic at hand and not monotonous.

You can practice with your child by engaging him in mini-conversations. Ask him to elaborate and explain to you the rationale for his choices. Why does he prefer chocolate ice-cream to strawberry ice-cream? Would he prefer to stay home to play computer games or to go out cycling? Why?

Start with topics you which he/she definitely would be interested in. It is also essential that you are not overly anxious. Give them time to think about the topic before prompting them. Remind them that it is alright to take a couple of seconds to think through it before talking. Don't rush to start a sentence before you know how to end it.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby my_melody92 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:15 am

Hi
Is there any holiday programme/short courses for ORAL PREP and Listening compre for P4?

I searched online but don't see many...in fact those I saw are for P6.

Appreciate those who know can share pls. Tks

my_melody92
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phtthp » Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 am

Any English Oral preparatory course for 2018 PSLE P6 students, during this coming June school holidays ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby my_melody92 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:15 am

I saw J Carter has..
http://jcartercentre.com/oral-exam/

phtthp wrote:Any English Oral preparatory course for 2018 PSLE P6 students, during this coming June school holidays ?

my_melody92
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby twizzlers02 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:31 am

I am not very sure about what has been changed in the new syllabus but back then when I took my PSLE 8 years ago, my teacher, who was also the HOD of the EL Department kept reminding us to always share our personal experience, always always talk about your personal experience and not make up a story because eventually the invigilator may want to ask you other stuff.

Don't bother using a difficult word in every sentence to try and impress the invigilator. Bring in a few difficult words, 5 is sufficient and they will be impressed. Make sure he does not use any short forms like "wanna" instead of "want to" or any singlish words because they would not have a good impression. Don't bother putting on an accent, just read it in clear concise language. READ SLOWLY for the reading aloud, make sure your child does not rush through the passage because then his pronunciation would not be clear. Euniciate the words correctly. That's what they look for in RA. Also, be lively and speak in the way the setting wants you. For example, if the text is a speech to the school, make sure he speaks in that tone.

twizzlers02
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge