Inappropriate Teachers' Behaviours

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Inappropriate Teachers' Behaviours

Postby genatoh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Original Title: Form Teacher's Behaviour

Dear Parents,

What would you do if your child's form teacher scold the students "U R IDIOT", "U all R DEVILS" & "U all R RUBBISH"?

What would you do if your child's form teacher slap her on the shoulder and scratch her head with the finger nails?

Heartache Mum :cry:

genatoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm

64 views ... 0 reply.

not surprising though. I'm sure all of us fear and pray that such situation does not happened to us.

to voice our concerns would risk our precious one being victimised, but not right to close one eye too.

I really really really do not know what I would do if I am in your shoes. But at the moment, I would think that I would probably try to gather evidences (<= tough one) and then seek PSG's help with the evidences to approach the teacher and/or principal.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Form Teacher's Behaviour

Postby mum03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:56 pm

genatoh wrote:Dear Parents,

What would you do if your child's form teacher scold the students "U R IDIOT", "U all R DEVILS" & "U all R RUBBISH"?

What would you do if your child's form teacher slap her on the shoulder and scratch her head with the finger nails?

Choice of word is wrong, it will demoralise the poor child. I would write a letter to the form teacher to inform her of my displeasure, if there is no respond from her, I will go down personnally to see the principal, but before I do all this I will ensure that my child is telling the truth, and I will also check with her classmate, if such things happen in class. Its just my opinion.

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sysherlene » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:57 pm

I guess the most rational thing to do is to clarify with the teacher immediately whether it did happen, and if it did, how did it happen? Sometimes what our kids told us might not be the full picture. We have to be rational and hear 2 sides of the story. Just my personal opinion. :D

sysherlene
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Form Teacher's Behaviour

Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:02 pm

genatoh wrote:Dear Parents,

when my husband's form teacher scold the whole class as 'pigs', my ILs confronted the teacher.
when my boy commented that his subject teacher teased him (eg jokingly not believing some stuff that my boy can do), i wrote him a super long letter - yes, i can be any teacher's nightmare cos i know my ds1 is a goody-two shoes. :roll:
i will approach the teacher and have a talk with him/her if the situation is not going to get better. the talk should not be filled with accusation, but is to give the teacher a chance to explain him/herself and clear the misunderstanding which we as parents should try to put across on the first instance ie give them some leeway to backdown instead of driving them to a corner cos it will not do your kid any good.
jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MdmKS » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 pm

tankee wrote:64 views ... 0 reply.

not surprising though. I'm sure all of us fear and pray that such situation does not happened to us.

to voice our concerns would risk our precious one being victimised, but not right to close one eye too.

I really really really do not know what I would do if I am in your shoes. But at the moment, I would think that I would probably try to gather evidences (<= tough one) and then seek PSG's help with the evidences to approach the teacher and/or principal.

In order to gather evidences, you might want to drop an email to the principal to report the incident . Usually the principal will do investigation before any follow-up, such as call in other children to confirm the situaton.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby genatoh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

MdmKS wrote:In order to gather evidences, you might want to drop an email to the principal to report the incident . Usually the principal will do investigation before any follow-up, such as call in other children to confirm the situaton.

Thanks for the comment, have sent the principle an email. He replied saying will investigate.

Hope he will the above u mentioned.

Thanks!

genatoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Physical & Verbal abuse by teachers

Postby 2centsworthy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:25 am

Dear Genatoh

I know what it is like... abuse not only affect your child but also the other children witnessing the episode. It might be good to mention in your face to face talk with the principal that it is not only affecting your child but also the other children in the class.... and you could guess that this teacher probably is doing this to other classes too. You are there not only for your child BUT for all the other children that pass thru her hands.

To be taken seriously, it would be good when stating the case, always put down a date when you expect a reply from the principal or teacher. You might want to send an email saying "Thank you for your reply in that you will be investigating into the matter. I await your investigation report and would like to hear from you by Thursday, 28 January 2010." In such matters, if you email to principal, next time, request for "read acknowledgement" from the email. This advice came from a MOE counsellor (psychologist).

I am sure the principal will look into it. MOE does not endorse even verbal abuse cos verbal abuse does more harm than physical abuse. If the reply (and further discussion is not satisfactory), you can email the Superintendent in charge of your school district. And if you are not satisfied with the reply or the outcome (like your child gets insults from the teacher or teachers - remember teachers are always on teachers side (most of the time) and they talk about that child and that child gets it too... year after year in some cases), you can go to see a psychologist. MOE Gifted Education Branch held a talk for GEP parents in 2008 at RI and we came to know of this psychologist called Dr Ong - her website is http://clare-ong.com/. I quote from her web and she told us the same in front of MOE officers

"she was a teacher, guidance officer, and subsequently a Senior Educational Psychologist at the Ministry of Education".

She shared several cases of ill treatment by teachers and how she went to help children affected. She would even meet teachers, principal, MOE etc on your behalf (of course you pay for her time). Well at least it is professionally handled. She is very very full. I have an acquaintance and she had to wait a month or so for her appointment BUT her case was not of abuse rather her child, a GEPer, is ADHD and gave lots of problems to teachers and fellow classmates. Dr Clare Ong is highly respected by MOE.

In normal physical abuse cases, the principal will likely to help the teacher... admit the teacher at fault, apologise and principal might not sack the teacher but give a warning. Almost all the time, the principal needs to send the teacher for a course on "how to handle special needs children" to learn skills to handle children. I do know of some teachers of TOP schools who are very stressed up and are on anti-depressant. The workload, the guilt of neglecting their own kids while drilling and pushing and ensuring the school kids perform better to meet school expectation - both academic and CCA, the pressure and stress are unbearable for some. That's the reason why teachers, students and housewives form the main category of patients seen by Institute of Mental Health - my friend is a volunteer there and I was told... how true - I guess any one can go and volunteer and see for themselves. All of us parents are also stressed but each of us learn to manage the stress.

I know of several cases of both physical and verbal abuse by teachers in TOP schools. Case 1 - there are at least 2 ADHD kids in this class. My friend son AA sat behind one of them JJ. There's this newly transfered teacher from another TOP school teaching this class. After a short while, she can't manage. She picked up a long wooden ruler (about 1m) and threw at JJ. Ruler hit JJ on face, skin beneath left eye got scratched... and went on to hit AA shoulder. Shoulder was all bruised. AA parents went in. JJ did not inform parent. JJ is ADHD and if on medication he is ok. Usually when he gets into trouble it is becos he was not given medicine or he was given half dosage. AA parents contacted JJ parents and JJ parents also went in to complain. The teacher claimed she was just diagnosed having cancer and is very stressed by it.

Case 2 - also involved a class of few ADHD kids. A very calm and cool teacher lost her temper. Took a file and whacked this ADHD child on the face. Face is all bruised... like one third of the face. Some parents personally witnessed the bruise... it was still obvious after 3-4 days later. Parent of this ADHD child does not believe in medication and gave fish oil instead. Child is not doing well at all. The most surprising thing is that in this case the parent received a call from a teacher in the school who witnessed the abuse. Of course the teacher did not leave a name. At least 2 teachers handling this class throw very negative remarks at this child, eg XX got mental problem, he is "siao"... then the kids at p3 started to say XX is siao... it went on to p4... since p3 kids move up to p4 with the same classmates.

So kiasu parents and kiasi parents out there - it does make sense to be kiasu. Help our kids to do well so that they will be in the better classes with concerned parents (in negative terms kiasu parents) and better behaved kids. The other thing I observed is that the not so top schools or neighbourhood schools do not seem to have so much problem and the conclusion I drew is that the pressure there is not so great. Hence teachers, kids and parents are not so stressed. Kids in the upper primary better classes are better behaved too. I heard a principal during a question-and-answer session said that there is about 5-10% of the kids they see having ADHD/ADD problems in schools generally.

Hope everything goes well.

2centsworthy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Physical & Verbal abuse by teachers

Postby genatoh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:12 am

2centsworthy wrote:Dear Genatoh

I know what it is like... abuse not only affect your child but also the other children witnessing the episode. It might be good to mention in your face to face talk with the principal that it is not only affecting your child but also the other children in the class.... and you could guess that this teacher probably is doing this to other classes too. You are there not only for your child BUT for all the other children that pass thru her hands.

To be taken seriously, it would be good when stating the case, always put down a date when you expect a reply from the principal or teacher. You might want to send an email saying "Thank you for your reply in that you will be investigating into the matter. I await your investigation report and would like to hear from you by Thursday, 28 January 2010." In such matters, if you email to principal, next time, request for "read acknowledgement" from the email. This advice came from a MOE counsellor (psychologist).

I am sure the principal will look into it. MOE does not endorse even verbal abuse cos verbal abuse does more harm than physical abuse. If the reply (and further discussion is not satisfactory), you can email the Superintendent in charge of your school district. And if you are not satisfied with the reply or the outcome (like your child gets insults from the teacher or teachers - remember teachers are always on teachers side (most of the time) and they talk about that child and that child gets it too... year after year in some cases), you can go to see a psychologist. MOE Gifted Education Branch held a talk for GEP parents in 2008 at RI and we came to know of this psychologist called Dr Ong - her website is http://clare-ong.com/. I quote from her web and she told us the same in front of MOE officers

"she was a teacher, guidance officer, and subsequently a Senior Educational Psychologist at the Ministry of Education".

She shared several cases of ill treatment by teachers and how she went to help children affected. She would even meet teachers, principal, MOE etc on your behalf (of course you pay for her time). Well at least it is professionally handled. She is very very full. I have an acquaintance and she had to wait a month or so for her appointment BUT her case was not of abuse rather her child, a GEPer, is ADHD and gave lots of problems to teachers and fellow classmates. Dr Clare Ong is highly respected by MOE.

In normal physical abuse cases, the principal will likely to help the teacher... admit the teacher at fault, apologise and principal might not sack the teacher but give a warning. Almost all the time, the principal needs to send the teacher for a course on "how to handle special needs children" to learn skills to handle children. I do know of some teachers of TOP schools who are very stressed up and are on anti-depressant. The workload, the guilt of neglecting their own kids while drilling and pushing and ensuring the school kids perform better to meet school expectation - both academic and CCA, the pressure and stress are unbearable for some. That's the reason why teachers, students and housewives form the main category of patients seen by Institute of Mental Health - my friend is a volunteer there and I was told... how true - I guess any one can go and volunteer and see for themselves. All of us parents are also stressed but each of us learn to manage the stress.

I know of several cases of both physical and verbal abuse by teachers in TOP schools. Case 1 - there are at least 2 ADHD kids in this class. My friend son AA sat behind one of them JJ. There's this newly transfered teacher from another TOP school teaching this class. After a short while, she can't manage. She picked up a long wooden ruler (about 1m) and threw at JJ. Ruler hit JJ on face, skin beneath left eye got scratched... and went on to hit AA shoulder. Shoulder was all bruised. AA parents went in. JJ did not inform parent. JJ is ADHD and if on medication he is ok. Usually when he gets into trouble it is becos he was not given medicine or he was given half dosage. AA parents contacted JJ parents and JJ parents also went in to complain. The teacher claimed she was just diagnosed having cancer and is very stressed by it.

Case 2 - also involved a class of few ADHD kids. A very calm and cool teacher lost her temper. Took a file and whacked this ADHD child on the face. Face is all bruised... like one third of the face. Some parents personally witnessed the bruise... it was still obvious after 3-4 days later. Parent of this ADHD child does not believe in medication and gave fish oil instead. Child is not doing well at all. The most surprising thing is that in this case the parent received a call from a teacher in the school who witnessed the abuse. Of course the teacher did not leave a name. At least 2 teachers handling this class throw very negative remarks at this child, eg XX got mental problem, he is "siao"... then the kids at p3 started to say XX is siao... it went on to p4... since p3 kids move up to p4 with the same classmates.

So kiasu parents and kiasi parents out there - it does make sense to be kiasu. Help our kids to do well so that they will be in the better classes with concerned parents (in negative terms kiasu parents) and better behaved kids. The other thing I observed is that the not so top schools or neighbourhood schools do not seem to have so much problem and the conclusion I drew is that the pressure there is not so great. Hence teachers, kids and parents are not so stressed. Kids in the upper primary better classes are better behaved too. I heard a principal during a question-and-answer session said that there is about 5-10% of the kids they see having ADHD/ADD problems in schools generally.

Hope everything goes well.

Wow! You're indeed very good, detail and caring for the kids... Very impress by your words and i'm very touched. Thank You so much!

genatoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby auntieM » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 pm

I may sound unrealistic here but if my kid's class teacher behave in such an abusive manner, will teach kid to record some evidence, sound or pix

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support