Help and guide-SOS

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Help and guide-SOS

Postby stressed mum » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm

we have 2 girls in P2 and P5 in year 2010 one of the top schools under leave of absence program. They have been out of Singapore system for almost 2 years and studied in international school . We plan to return in 2-3 months back to Singapore . Wanted to know firstly what are the chances of getting mother tongue exemptio as they did not study the same here. Secondly as they will join in second term I am v worried about P5 girl. All the assessment books I bought seem to be extremely tough and I myself feel lost and confused . Till P4 it still looked manageable !! Can anyone recommend private tutor in west -Bukit Batok, Bukit Timah area for EMS who can help to quide her and help to bring her at current level fast so that she is not lost in school .. She is fast learner but slightly careless!!! Thnx

stressed mum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Exemption From Mother Tongue

Postby Bentan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:37 am

At Singapore Math Chinese Tutor, the only valid reason we are aware of for mother tongue exemption is when a parent is expat. If you or your husband worked as expat overseas, you may want to try using this justification, though the term expat applies more for foreigners working in Singapore.

However, I must say that all expat parents are more serious then Singaporean parents for language learning. One Korean couple made their child study Chinese up to Primary 6 before applying for exemption. Even after obtaining exemption, they still continue with Chinese tuition for the whole of Primary 6. I would suggest you to be as uncompromising as possible to your children for language learning.

An uncompromising attitude is generally good to prepare your child for switching into Singapore fast lane. Children who are away for a period of time tend to bring along overseas learning culture back to Singapore. If both parents and child are not mentally prepared to "switch over to fast lane", it would create substantial tension over time between the child and their peers, and even with their teachers. Eventually it would spill back home between child and parents.

I once tutored a girl who left for UK at the age of 11. She returned at 15 and was accepted by a reputable school for Sec-3. She did well in English and Sciences but performed poorly in Math and Chinese. Initially the mother was still showing sympathy and support to her daughter when she grumbled about her math teacher. After the third month tension was rising fast between the daughter and parents.

One last advice: check with your employer whether they provide “education allowance” for you to hire tutors for your child. This is usually in the package to compensate the family for adjustment back to Singapore …

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support