Stationery and School bags

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Stationery and School bags

Postby keithmummy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 am

Title: ergonomic school bag

Hi,

Any one has any feedback / recommendations for ergonomic school bag?

:wink:

keithmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: ergonomic school bag

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:19 pm

keithmummy wrote:Hi,

Any one has any feedback / recommendations for ergonomic school bag?

:wink:

The price has dropped since 5 years back. Today, you can get pretty good "ergonomic" bags from Popular at about $30+. Should be able to last a year. If you have money to burn, can buy the branded ones for $70-$150.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:50 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Today, you can get pretty good "ergonomic" bags from Popular at about $30+..

The thing is that when they claimed to be 'ergonomic', how genuinely 'ergonomic' do we know they are? Or they are only using that term to rip us off?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:07 am

jedamum wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:Today, you can get pretty good "ergonomic" bags from Popular at about $30+..

The thing is that when they claimed to be 'ergonomic', how genuinely 'ergonomic' do we know they are? Or they are only using that term to rip us off?

I think the general rule is that the bag should distribute its weight off the small of the child's back onto his/her hips instead. The idea is to protect the spine. Like all good ideas, this concept has been copied through the years and quite a few school bags have gotten similar designs but sold at cheaper prices.

Anyway, I remember how parents used to blame the schools for making children carry heavy bags. Now I realized that it is the kids that are doing it to themselves. My kid loves to bring tons of books for those 10-min "Uninterrupted Silent Reading" sessions before school starts, in spite of all our attempts at reasoning with him.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:18 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Now I realized that it is the kids that are doing it to themselves. My kid loves to bring tons of books for that 10-min "Uninterrupted Silent Reading" sessions before school starts, in spite of all our attempts at reasoning with him.

:lol: Also another kiasu-kina in the making. :lol:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 am

jedamum wrote:... :lol: Also another kiasu-kina in the making. :lol:

Oh I wish. If he is only a little bit more concerned with his schoolwork, I'd be a lot less worried. He is a smart kid, able to grasp concepts quickly, but lacks motivation when it comes to working hard.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:07 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:He is a smart kid, able to grasp concepts quickly, but lacks motivation when it comes to working hard.

Its not unusual that smart kids can tend to be a bit lazy.
My husband is smart, so he reckon that he'll only need to spend only 50% hardwork and can get 75% returns, and always on the lookout to take shortcuts as it is deem more 'efficient'. :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby heutistmeintag » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:52 pm

jedamum wrote:

I once paid $80 for these so-called ergo bags. One of them was torn at the corner after less than 1 yr and the other was discarded because it was simply too bulky and heavy even without the books in it.

What we do now is to get them something simple and affordable like Sierra fullpack. Anything that cannot fit into the bags will be carried in A4 folder bags.

So parents if you ask me, buy if you can afford. otherwise, I am skeptical about the benefits of ergo bags.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cmm » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:06 pm

what about those schoolbags with wheels? Seems sensible enough....

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:08 pm

cmm wrote:what about those schoolbags with wheels? Seems sensible enough....

Be careful with those. Although they have shoulder straps, they are not suitable for children to carry on their shoulders and back. The extensible handle can hurt the child's back if he/she attempts to put on the shoulder straps.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support