Hand holding or independent learning for Upper primary child

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Hand holding or independent learning for Upper primary child

Postby Lynn2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Hello all

Would you guide and to prepare them for exam via spoon feeding? Or let them do their own indept learning.

I understand that in secondary school, the child has to be indept .

One friend actually commented that if you dont help them, they may not do as well .What is your view?

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:58 pm

:? isn't tution some form of hand-holding? just the hands are held by the tutor instead of parents.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby OngMum » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 am

Hi, I supposed it depends on individual as every child is different. Some children are more mature than the others of the same age and knowing the importance of study. They are good in time management, independent on their own, take initiatives w/o bugging at and etc. I dun see any wrong for hand holding if we observe our children are not in that said category. Most important is we need to recognize that and help them along if required. I am sure every child will be independent on his/her own when the time is ripe – just a matter of time. :D

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Lynn2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:38 am

well said.

My friend tutor actually tells her directly says that her girl has to be more indept....cos its impt when comes to secondary school....You have the point. Tuition already hand holding and what is her role as a tutor for, I also wonder.

tankee wrote::? isn't tution some form of hand-holding? just the hands are held by the tutor instead of parents.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tired mom » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:49 am

I believe in a mixed approach in the upper primary school, to gear them towards independent learning and exam prep in secondary schools.

As parents, we have gone through the whole long journey of studying and our accumulated experience is a wealth of knowledge. Even if the child is a self-motivated student, he will do well with some guidance on the technique of exam prep.

Therefore, organise the exam prep and time management together with the child in upper pri. After few years of doing that, he should be able to come up with his own technique in secondary school without much guidance.

my two cents' worth

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby westmom » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:20 am

OngMum wrote:Hi, I supposed it depends on individual as every child is different. Some children are more mature than the others of the same age and knowing the importance of study. They are good in time management, independent on their own, take initiatives w/o bugging at and etc. I dun see any wrong for hand holding if we observe our children are not in that said category. Most important is we need to recognize that and help them along if required. I am sure every child will be independent on his/her own when the time is ripe – just a matter of time. :D

Very true...you cannot just apply recommendation but observe the characteristics of your child. The motivated ones are usually more matured and you can leave them be. For the less motivated ones, we parents must "push" and help them along..for eg the timetable, what revision to do each day. Parents know their weak subjects so we should get them to spend more time in those subjects - if we leave to them, they probably just do the subjects they like! After PSLE, slowly let go of string and continuing to observe at same time...

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support