Can Currently School Teacher provide tuition service?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Can Currently School Teacher provide tuition service?

Postby Searchingyou » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:23 am

Just curious, can current school teacher provide tuition or work at any tuition / enrichment centre?

Searchingyou
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Can Currently School Teacher provide tuition service?

Postby allseasons » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes, I also want to know.. can they?

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:28 pm

best answer by the authority.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:31 pm

I don't know if the rule has changed since I last encountered it years ago. It used to be that a teacher (like other civil servants) could do up to 6 hrs a week outside his main work, subject to things like conflicts of interest (eg. should not teach one of his school students). The teacher might possibly have to declare it, but I'm not sure about that.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EconsPhDTutor » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:46 pm

The policy was and probably still is that teachers can work up to 6 hours per week, outside of their official school duties.

A 2004 MOE statement (quoted below) seems to mildly suggest that teachers are supposed to make requests with their school principals.

A 2013 article in Today reported that some MPs were calling for a review of this policy. I can't find anything suggesting that the policy has since changed.

My anecdotal experience is that this policy is not strictly enforced. There are certainly MOE teachers who teach more than 6 hours of tuition per week.

From the 2004 MOE statement:

Teachers are allowed to take up part-time employment outside school hours, including giving private tuition, only if it does not detract them from the official duties assigned in school. The Ministry's guideline is that such part-time employment should not exceed 6 hours a week. School Principals are given the authority to manage any requests from teachers to undertake outside part-time employment as they are in the best position to monitor and advise if any such employment conflicts with the teachers' work in school.

EconsPhDTutor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Gen-Y Education Centre » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:51 pm

From what I heard:
Current MOE teacher is allowed to give tuition up to 6 hours, provided that the school itself doesn't forbid.

Gen-Y Education Centre
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ziltransformer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:12 am

hi I am looking for psle math & science tuition teacher, preferably MOE teacher. 1-1 basic at home, CCK. is there any recommendation?

ziltransformer
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby zbear » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:35 am

I do not like to hire current school teacher as a tutor. Reasons being they are very ex, not necessarily committed as school duties come first over tuition which to them is extra income.

I engaged a Sec School teacher before but she is not committed - on occasions she failed to turn up for lessons without informing me. I WA her but she never replied. Later she said she went away on holiday.

Lesson learnt - I much prefer full time tutors.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support