High Expectation Teacher

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

High Expectation Teacher

Postby concern2 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:37 pm

My sister often gets calls from her daughter's "very on" form teacher. Most of the time, the message is clear: If your daughter doesn't improve in her results, she will be out of this 'high achievement' class.

My sister isn't very particular about her kids getting top scores, that's why she picked a neighborhood school. She thinks that her daughter happens to be in the 'high achievement class' was due to her proficiency in English (she's in P3 this year). When the teacher first called her, she felt alerted and eventually came to feel pressurized. Now, she's resenting it all.

Although my sister isn't opposed to getting her daughter to work harder to remain in the top class, she is concerned about the consequence of what these 'threats' would do to the kids.

Will they start looking down on other students? If any of these kids get 'dropped out' of this class, how will he/she feel? Will he/she take it as a failure? What about those who remain in the class? Will they ego get so bloated that they fail to appreciate others for their own strengths? What kind of attitude do we want to instill in our kids? And how far is this from character building?

Although her daughter isn't showing any signs of looking down on other fellow students, my sister now make an effort to 'educate' her daughter to be humble and treat everyone equally, and also to balance off the pressure from her teacher (yes, she's been threatened by her teacher directly) as if being in the other 'mainstream' class is a punishment for not working hard.

Does any one has similar experience to share? Or any thoughts on this? Any teachers in 'high ability' classes care to share your thoughts on this? Appreciate....

Re: High Expectation Teacher

Postby MdmKS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:16 pm

May be the tr is just trying to scare her see if it work to make her work hard. She did not say cut-off immediately wat. Of course if she continue to under perform, comes to P5, she will be filter out of the class, same in any other school. The child needs to know the consquence also. In mine school the form tr call means she really bo pian liao and need your help.

Postby jedamum » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:20 pm

i am not so much concern about my boy looking down on other kids cos these negative attitudes can easily be curb at home. what i am worried about more is the child's inability to accept failure and the stress that he may feel if he tried hard but couldn't match the teacher's standard and the peer pressure. with children suicide on the rise, it is crucial for parents to keep an eye out for such stress and willing to take the step back to seek withdrawal from such classes when the need arises.

Re: High Expectation Teacher

Postby Augmum » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:54 pm

concern2 wrote:My sister often gets calls from her daughter's "very on" form teacher. Most of the time, the message is clear: If your daughter doesn't improve in her results, she will be out of this 'high achievement' class.

(yes, she's been threatened by her teacher directly) as if being in the other 'mainstream' class is a punishment for not working hard.

i think it's pretty common to come across teachers who are in the best classes to say such thing to the pupils,
" if u don't work hard and pull up yr socks, u'll be out of this class.....etc".

some schools rank the pupils every yr while some do it once every 2yrs, such as at end of yr2 and end of yr4.

Postby tankee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:01 pm

perhaps the teacher sees the potential in the child and felt frustrated that the child is not realising that potential? thus wanting the parents to help push the child in the right direction.

perhaps I just navie.

Site Admin

Postby cafelatte » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Indeed it is common for pupils in banded classes to be reminded over and over again that they are in banded class and they have to work hard to remain at the top. There are teachers who will comment that the top scorer for XXX exam is not from your class, the best class, but from XXX class.

I feel that as parents, we need to teach/guide our children to cope with the pressure. I usually play on the advantage of being in a better class and just encourage putting in the best. At the same time, I also remind that we are just a small part of the big pie - being in banded class of XXX school versus the whole SG etc. 一山还有一山高, you know what I mean ? Once the child sees the big picture, it is easier to cope with the pressure and also there's no "prestige" feel or "downlooking" on the mixed ability classes.

Postby tutormum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:22 pm

I just came across a father who thought that I was picking on his son when I moved the boy to a slower class. You see, I am teaching 2 classes and as the better class consists of high scorers (at least 80 marks and most of them got above 90). I decided that this boy will do better in the slower class as his mother told me that the boy found that he couldn't keep up. I was :| cos I have made it very clearly to the class that they have to inform me if I was teaching too fast or they couldn't understand. The feedback was that the pace was alright. At the mother's request, I paid more attention to the boy and realised that he was not concentrating and seems to daydream. I decided to move him to the slower class. Instead, the father ranted at me and here's the conversation.

Father: My wife talked to you about my son.
Me: Yes, I noticed that he's not paying attention and seems to daydream.
Father: How can you say my son's not attentive when he's doing well in school. FYI, he is in the best class in his school and get 2x position.
Me: (in my heart - so? Anyway, the PSLE results in his son's school is very low)
Father: On what basis do you move him to this (slower) class.
Me: On my observation. I'm putting him under my nose to ensure that he's coping.
Father: You know, there is a teacher in school whom my son doesn't like and I went to talk to the principal about her.
Me: Well, you may talk to my principal if you wish. :roll:
Father: My son has been enjoying tuition but now it doesn't seem to. I want him to enjoy his tuition.
Me: I want him to enjoy his tuition too. (I'm trying to do what I think is better for the boy but obviously the father has his own opinion.)
Father (saw that his son was sitting alone - the boy chose to sit there himself): why is my son's sitting alone? Why are you isolating my son? You are obivously picking on him. (He pointed to the boy who had started to sob)
Father: Look, my son is crying. He doesn't like to be here.
Me: :!:
Father: My son's not happy. (implying it's my fault)
Father: I'm withdrawing him.
Me: Ok.
:shock: :( Whichever class his son is in, I'm still the teacher and teaching the same thing. The difference is the pace. I put the boy in the slower class cos I think he'll cope better there. Better than he gets lost in the faster class and learn nothing. I'm still :!: :!: at the father's accusations. What can I do? Put him in the faster class and they complain their dear son can't cope or put in the slower class and they think that I'm doing injustice to him. :frustrated: :offtopic:

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support