LSP (Learning Support Programme)

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

LSP (Learning Support Programme)

Postby mango » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:09 pm

My P1 son has been selected for the LSP (English). Have done some research on what it is about :

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... g-support/
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/parliamenta ... mary-o.php
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/speeches/20 ... _print.htm

Any idea what is the screening test mentioned in the last article?
It that the only selection criteria?

Anyone has any other info to share?

mango
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cafelatte » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Did you speak to his FT ? She is the best person to answer your questions.

Sharing my experience:
When my son was in P1, I also received notification from his school that he has been selected for LSP but for MATHS instead of English. I spoke to the FT, and I was referred to Maths HOD. To cut a long story short, my son did not go for LSP Maths programme. From my conversations with the FT and HOD, the screening test is a specially designed test released by MOE. Hence, all schools use the same screening test (I gathered the test is similar to those used to test for special needs children, designed by some experts). The completed tests and the results are confidential. Teachers and parents are not allowed access to this test.

I strongly encourage you to check with the school and teachers if you have any concerns.

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pokemon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 pm

abt 3wks ago, my p1 son, came back n told me his whole class had a math test which is about 12 pages long. All their tables were being separated, he said its was easy and could finish all the questions.

I was surprised but suspected that could be the screening test for LSP. So far we did not received his test result and neither he was called for LSP. A week after the surprised test, he written down on his communication booklet, a math topical test was scheduled a few days later, so that cfirmed their sch topical tests are make known to parents.

pokemon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 pm

cafelatte wrote:Did you speak to his FT ? She is the best person to answer your questions.

Sharing my experience:
When my son was in P1, I also received notification from his school that he has been selected for LSP but for MATHS instead of English. I spoke to the FT, and I was referred to Maths HOD. To cut a long story short, my son did not go for LSP Maths programme. From my conversations with the FT and HOD, the screening test is a specially designed test released by MOE. Hence, all schools use the same screening test (I gathered the test is similar to those used to test for special needs children, designed by some experts). The completed tests and the results are confidential. Teachers and parents are not allowed access to this test.

I strongly encourage you to check with the school and teachers if you have any concerns.

Thank you so much for the reply. It is good to know that there do exist
cases of misdiagnosis. There is a briefing for parents next week. I wanted very much to call the FT when I saw the "invitation letter" but my dh said that we should till the briefing. I am really puzzled what is the selection criteria, isn't for those who can't read/write.
Though my ds's English is not great but he have no problem reading those
books meant for 4-7 years. In fact, he already knows 80-90% of the words in his term one spelling list. I really don't know what's happening.

mango
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:20 pm

pokemon wrote:abt 3wks ago, my p1 son, came back n told me his whole class had a math test which is about 12 pages long. All their tables were being separated, he said its was easy and could finish all the questions.

I was surprised but suspected that could be the screening test for LSP. So far we did not received his test result and neither he was called for LSP. A week after the surprised test, he written down on his communication booklet, a math topical test was scheduled a few days later, so that cfirmed their sch topical tests are make known to parents.

Thanks for your reply, will check with my son but I don't think he will recall anything. He is so blur n bo chap. I asked him what did he get for his spelling he said "I think I got full marks, I can't remember. It is inside the bag".

mango
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 pm

in a way, it is "free tution" provided by the School & MOE :D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby cafelatte » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:03 am

I suspect (no proof) that it is related to poor penmanship. Does your son have this problem ? I suspect (again no proof) that some sections of the tests are designed to pick up dyslexic children. I won't say it is "misdiagnosis" ? Perhaps the test conditions, my son's lack of focus etc contributed to a borderline reading ? I really do not know.

During my episode, no one could confirm the selection criterias since the completed tests are confidential and not accessible to parents and teachers. I took the angle of wanting to understand what the LSP has to offer but I am not convinced it will add any value (in our case). The arrangement was that my son would have to be pulled out of normal curriculum time (while his other classmates continue lessons with the subject teacher), he needs to walk to another classroom (LSP room) and do some foundation work (with the LSP teacher) which I am certain he already knows. It just doesn't make any sense to me. After much discussion with the HOD, she agreed to my decision. I was relieved that my son's performance in the subject in subsequent exams did not warant any more discussion on this.

Give the details in my case, I do not see it as "free tution" from the school. In fact, I feel the interruptions will be more detrimental than add any value. I think as parents we need to understand the facts and support our children accordingly. We definitely do not want to be in *self-denial* if a child does need help and will benefit from the programme.

By the way, before the LSP briefing, I meetup with the FT to find out her views as well as look through the school workbooks briefly. I was lucky that the FT and HOD were willing to discuss with me although at some point they did get a little defensive.

Just my 2cents worth and wish you best of luck in sorting out the issue.

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: LSP (Learning Support Programme)

Postby windie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Does anyone know what kind of questions and how long the 'tests' are to determine if kids shd be in LSP?

windie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby rains » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:37 pm

As far as I know, if a child is selected for lsp, the child has problems coping with the particular subject. The lsp kids are pulled out from the mainstream lessons to have lsp class because they are not able to keep up with what is taught in the classroom, thus it doesn't benefit the kids if they remain in the classroom with the rest of their classmates. Usually, these kids lack the basics in these subjects. There are lsp kids who actually have special needs eg. Dyslexia but they do not make up the bulk of lsp kids. Most of the time, lsp kids lack a "supportive" home environment - they have not been home-taught the basics - simple words for English and simple arithmetic for maths.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby windie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:36 pm

I am thinking even if the child has the knowledge to answer those questions but not the attention span to complete 12 pgs, it would be challenging for them to 'pass' this test. But in any case, i hope the teachers in LSP are of good quality to help them catch up. Does anyone know if these teachers are Allied Educators or just regular teachers?

windie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support