Your kid must have tuition... OR ELSE...

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: Your kid must have tuition... OR ELSE...

Postby Lam » Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi, I will like to seek some feedback from parents who have engaged Chinese private tutors for their kids. I have recently pulled my boy out from tuition centre and have engaged a private Chinese tutor. But I notice that the teaching style is not very structured as there are no study notes, which tuition centers will usually develop In house and provide their students. The private tutor will go through the Chinese text book with my boy and do practices from those assessment books from Popular book stores. Is this typical of how private tutors conduct their lessons?

Lam
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SWPL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:20 am

I just want to get everyone's (parents only pls) feedback here...what is the best way to look for a suitable tuition teacher? Is going through a tuition agency the most popular route or you ask for other parent recommendations? Doing a Google search just yields a whole list of tuition agencies :roll:

SWPL
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Laurel111 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Depends on luck. Once get good one, hold on to it. I will line my second and 3rd kid up. :smile:

I go to Tuition Agency if I am looking for MOE or Ex-MOE tutors as they have a bigger pool of tutors, and more or less assured of the tutors' qualification and expertise You don't see as many MOE teachers advertising, you also don't get many recommendation as these MOE teachers hold full time job, less time for tuition.

If non-MOE, I prefer to go for parents recommendation or scout on tutors self advertisement (those been around for some time as I believe they have reputation to uphold). My guesses will be as good as the agency.

Laurel111
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lovemelody » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 pm

SWPL wrote:I just want to get everyone's (parents only pls) feedback here...what is the best way to look for a suitable tuition teacher? Is going through a tuition agency the most popular route or you ask for other parent recommendations? Doing a Google search just yields a whole list of tuition agencies :roll:

I personally prefer recommendations. After having used several agencies, I feel that some of them just want to 'push' tutors to you as they earn commission from the jobs they match. Also, I would prefer having a MOE teacher as they are up-to-date with the latest syllabus and all.. comes with a price though :wink:

lovemelody
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby CatMoon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Lam wrote:Hi, I will like to seek some feedback from parents who have engaged Chinese private tutors for their kids. I have recently pulled my boy out from tuition centre and have engaged a private Chinese tutor. But I notice that the teaching style is not very structured as there are no study notes, which tuition centers will usually develop In house and provide their students. The private tutor will go through the Chinese text book with my boy and do practices from those assessment books from Popular book stores. Is this typical of how private tutors conduct their lessons?

Yes, this is typical of most private tutors - using assessment books from Popular.

That's why when my boy was in primary school, I enroll him in both: Tuition centre for the worksheets (vocab & compre) while the private tutor will focus on oral, listening compre and essays. This is because we don't speak chinese at home.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Thank you!

Lam
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby passioninlearning » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:30 am

Laurel111 wrote:Depends on luck. Once get good one, hold on to it. I will line my second and 3rd kid up. :smile:

I go to Tuition Agency if I am looking for MOE or Ex-MOE tutors as they have a bigger pool of tutors, and more or less assured of the tutors' qualification and expertise You don't see as many MOE teachers advertising, you also don't get many recommendation as these MOE teachers hold full time job, less time for tuition.

If non-MOE, I prefer to go for parents recommendation or scout on tutors self advertisement (those been around for some time as I believe they have reputation to uphold). My guesses will be as good as the agency.

There is certainly nothing such as MOE or ex-MOE tutors. I believe you are referring to MOE or ex-MOE teachers.

passioninlearning
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jautung » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:03 pm

SMS / whatsapp 8282 6810, or email chanjautung212@gmail.com for tuition.

Hi all,

I am Jau Tung, providing 1-1 tuition service to Secondary/JC students for Physics and Mathematics.

- Graduated in 2014 from Raffles Institution and have just completed my NS
- Straight As for H2 Knowledge & Inquiry, H2 Physics, H2 Mathematics, H2 Chemistry, and H1 Economics, as well as H3 Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Participated in Physics and Math Olympiads, culminating in a Gold Medal at the International Physics Olympiad
- Accepted into Yale University and will be attending late this year.
- 1-1 tuition experience since 1 year ago.
- Rate: $50/hr

jautung
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:15 pm

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

2 people like this post

Postby passioninlearning » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am

My latest post, which offers encouragement to all students.

https://passioninlearning.wordpress.com ... s-tough-2/

passioninlearning
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support