LEARNConcierge

Your kid must have tuition... OR ELSE...

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: Your kid must have tuition... OR ELSE...

Postby pirate » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Searchingyou wrote:I am against teaching up front too.. but my child cannot catch up/understand what is the teacher teaching ,especially Maths. I normally will revise with him after his teacher has completed a topic. When I asked him abt minute / hour hand, he is clueless. I am curious wat had went wrong..As I am a working parent,I can only guide him in his education instead of TEACH him which repeating what his teacher is doing. So, we have decided to send him for tuition next year.

What you need to do is to hang a clock (not the digital kind) on your wall.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jasmineng » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:26 pm

You can try making a paper plate clock to illustrate! The tutor I engage for my child used that when she taught him how to read time. A little more effort to make such stuff, guess I have to credit my tutor~

jasmineng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby janet88 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Searchingyou wrote:I am against teaching up front too.. but my child cannot catch up/understand what is the teacher teaching ,especially Maths. I normally will revise with him after his teacher has completed a topic. When I asked him abt minute / hour hand, he is clueless. I am curious wat had went wrong..As I am a working parent,I can only guide him in his education instead of TEACH him which repeating what his teacher is doing. So, we have decided to send him for tuition next year.

hubby and I do not teach the topic before the teacher does.
hubby will explain what daughter does not understand and reinforce with some questions from the assessment book.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iwannabeamerican » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:07 pm

Tuition.These days TLL(The Learning Lab) gives out >$1000 fees per month, and that's for ONE child taking only ONE subject for ONE month.No offense,but I look down upon you if you go to TLL.I don't care about your scores in school,if you do well,I can only say,'Hmph,no merit,need tuition to do well one.'I am currently in Sec 2,and I can do better in class than those who go for TLL(I also don't take TLL).But honestly,while I'm here,let me just say that Singapore's education system is CRAP.At 9 years of age, a test called the GEP seperates the 'gifted' ones and 'the rest'.Then DSA.'Oh,we cater to all students with ability'?NO.LIES.DSA was only set up for GEP.And finally,PSLE.People say PSLE doesn't really matter,but it does.You get below 240,you're done.You go to average school,you might not even go JC,your career as a doctor is ruined,if you get a bit careless in PSLE.

iwannabeamerican
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:21 pm

^^^^^ Sigh. Sounds fishy again. ^^^^^

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby MrsKiasu » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:29 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:^^^^^ Sigh. Sounds fishy again. ^^^^^

:lol:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby momkiasu » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Hello. I am a mother of 3, and also a tuition teacher. I have been teaching for about 8 years now and have heard many of these cases. Parents are getting very competitive and there are alot of pressure built on on our children. Just a drop below 85%, I will be receiving assignments from my trusted tuition agencies and it's scary how the parents expect so much of their child. My children have not been facing much academic stress as they have me to guide them along during their journey however, I do not pressurize them to get extremely good grades as long as they are able to perform to their best abilities.

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:25 pm

iwannabeamerican wrote:Tuition.These days TLL(The Learning Lab) gives out >$1000 fees per month, and that's for ONE child taking only ONE subject for ONE month.

'Gives out > $1000 fees per month...'.

Hmm... so TLL gives out >$1000 per month to parents who register their children there. Wish I had more children.

Perhaps you mean 'charges'? English tuition, anybody?

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:29 pm

momkiasu wrote:Hello. I am a mother of 3, and also a tuition teacher. I have been teaching for about 8 years now and have heard many of these cases. Parents are getting very competitive and there are alot of pressure built on on our children. Just a drop below 85%, I will be receiving assignments from my trusted tuition agencies and it's scary how the parents expect so much of their child.

True.

More generally, what surprises me is how packed some children's schedules are at the weekend. By the time a child comes to do creative writing with me in the late afternoon, the child is already exhausted. This is doubly unfortunate because for most children creative writing is not the easiest of tasks: it requires focus, energy and calm reflection.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Ikid » Sun May 15, 2016 12:26 pm

More primary and secondary school students are getting private tuition years in advance of their grade in school
http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/more-primary-and-secondary-school-students-are-getting-private-tuition-years-in-advance-of

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge