Kip Mcgrath Education Centres

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Kip Mcgrath Education Centres

Postby coffee » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Original Title: Anyone heard of Kip Mcgrath Education Centres?

I am contemplating sending my P1 son to Kip McGrath for Math and English Tuition. Any feedback or encounter on the centre?

coffee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby caroline3sg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:46 pm

coffee
Can you shed light on their charges? And how they conduct their lessons - do they use mathematical tools for Maths lesson?

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:44 pm

I only know different centres may have different focus.
This Bukit Batok branch claim that
"Unlike other tuition centres whose aim is to improve the students' marks, our centre concentrates on weak students to help them fit back into the system.

Read our founder Mr.Kip McGrath's words:
"If your child is getting 90 marks and you want him to get 95, don't come to us. But if your child is getting 10 marks, we can make him get 50." - StraitsTimes on 10th Aug 2005."

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 pm

jedamum wrote:Read our founder Mr.Kip McGrath's words:
"If your child is getting 90 marks and you want him to get 95, don't come to us. But if your child is getting 10 marks, we can make him get 50." - StraitsTimes on 10th Aug 2005."

Hey... I like that quote. I have another one myself:
"We will always get a grade below our desired goal. If we target to get an A, we will get a B. If we target to just pass, we will fail. To guarantee yourself 1st class Honors, you must target to be the best in the cohort."

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby angeline123 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 am

If thats the case, its not a good thing. Ego -wise.

I mean if i know of any one that goes to that school, I will immediately assume that he/she is poor in studies. I wont want to go to such a school, or even to be seen walking through that door or even known to be checking that school out!

For fear of being knows as results being no good.

Haha... But really thats true, if thats the school's reputation.

angeline123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:46 am

angeline123 wrote:...I mean if i know of any one that goes to that school, I will immediately assume that he/she is poor in studies. I wont want to go to such a school, or even to be seen walking through that door or even known to be checking that school out!

For fear of being knows as results being no good.

Haha... But really thats true, if thats the school's reputation.

That depends on how you look at the intent of the service. There are plenty of parents out there with underperforming children who would do anything to get the kids just to pass the exams. Ego is the last thing on their minds. And I have always believed that enrichment services should cater more to the underachievers than the overachievers, simply because they are the ones that need the most help. If your kid is already doing well in school, what is the point of pushing him/her to become the top scholar? Setting such a goal may actually make the child and the parent lose track of the real purpose of going to school - which is to learn to understand better our human condition and how we can interact better with the world around us.

Also, how do you measure the true effectiveness of services that select only the good students to teach?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby father_of_3 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:43 pm

After my son took the test, they advised not to take him in. I was totally shocked at that time. After understood what they said, I feel relieved. They can't bring him much higher level up as they claimed that he is high performer. Guess what? They are right as my son was later selected for GEP.
So in a way, they are honestly not to make you paid unnecessary $$. They do not just take in smart student to claim their success. If you go to most tuition or enrichment centre, they display their top students result to attract the parents.

father_of_3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:18 pm

father_of_3 wrote:After my son took the test, they advised not to take him in. I was totally shocked at that time. After understood what they said, I feel relieved. They can't bring him much higher level up as they claimed that he is high performer. Guess what? They are right as my son was later selected for GEP.
So in a way, they are honestly not to make you paid unnecessary $$. They do not just take in smart student to claim their success. If you go to most tuition or enrichment centre, they display their top students result to attract the parents.

By just what you posted, Kip McGrath has earned my respect and admiration.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby angeline123 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:52 pm

which centre is that?

angeline123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sunflower » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 pm

I saw one of their centres at Downtown East some time back, the wordings on the posters looked rather committed to improve poor grades. Was quite impressed with what they claimed.

sunflower
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support