Does our kid really need tutor?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules
Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.
Post Reply
xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jun 16,

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by xueyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:15 am

I have engaged the present tutor for about 4 months now. I must say she is a very enthusiastic teacher who always think of ways to help my ds. She will normally give quite a bit of homework and the next lesson will go through the answers with him.
The homework will include assessment books on synthesis, compre, grammar, vocabulary. She didn't really teach on compo. I think the reason may be to brush up his grammar and other aspects of English first.

I am just wondering whether her way of teaching, ie by giving homework and thereafter going thru them, will be different from other commercial schools? Like Just Ed, mindstetcher, learning lab etc

Synthesis
Is it just practice, practice, practice?

Compre
Is there some techniques in answering comprehension questions? For multiple choice questions, ds normally get all correct. But when answering in sentences, he may either get the answer wrong or answered in grammatically wrong way. What are the ways to improve compre?

Grammar
Should they be taught per topic e.g. the rules on either, neither, subject-verb agreement.... ?

I have thought of signing up ds in a commercial writing course as they will learn phrases and ways to start and end a compo. Instead of letting her to teach as I feel that writing can be a very specialized area.

ss2
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 19,
Total Likes:2

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by ss2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:08 am

xueyan wrote:I have engaged the present tutor for about 4 months now. I must say she is a very enthusiastic teacher who always think of ways to help my ds. She will normally give quite a bit of homework and the next lesson will go through the answers with him.
The homework will include assessment books on synthesis, compre, grammar, vocabulary. She didn't really teach on compo. I think the reason may be to brush up his grammar and other aspects of English first.

I am just wondering whether her way of teaching, ie by giving homework and thereafter going thru them, will be different from other commercial schools? Like Just Ed, mindstetcher, learning lab etc

Synthesis
Is it just practice, practice, practice?

Compre
Is there some techniques in answering comprehension questions? For multiple choice questions, ds normally get all correct. But when answering in sentences, he may either get the answer wrong or answered in grammatically wrong way. What are the ways to improve compre?

Grammar
Should they be taught per topic e.g. the rules on either, neither, subject-verb agreement.... ?

I have thought of signing up ds in a commercial writing course as they will learn phrases and ways to start and end a compo. Instead of letting her to teach as I feel that writing can be a very specialized area.
My DD had been with reputed center for 3 years for English.I would say the curriculum includes teaching rules of synthesis and grammar followed by worksheets.For comprehension ..yes they taught answering techniques and compo also different techniques are taught and discussed.They didnt give much homework for them though.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Oct 12,
Total Likes:1

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by mylulaoshi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am

This is ironic being a PSLE Chinese Specialist myself. I don't agree students require regular tuition. Our students come, rectify their issue, achieve their goal within a few months. Unless parents/student are clear of their objective, then tuition will serve it's purpose. Tuition is Medicine/ Vaccination/Protein Shake. Not Vitamin. No point wasting time/money on ineffective tuition.

kzone
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 06,

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by kzone » Mon May 14, 2018 11:22 am

Most kids need tuition... but the tutor can either be the parents themselves or outsource to external.

Just like all houses need someone to clean. Either you clean yourselves or hire domestic helper or part time cleaner.

So whether u need to employ external help for tutoring depends on your available time, how well you can tutor your kids urself and the $$ u willing to spend if u outsource it.

For me, if the financial situation allows it, I will outsource the formal tuition needs and spend my time to coach my kids on their soft skills and character building.

celeste_ng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 04,

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by celeste_ng » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Composition writing skills are very important. Must start from young. When I see my eldest child's writing, I often regret that I didn't focus enough on his English writing skills :(


kchairenn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jun 13,
Total Likes:1

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by kchairenn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:30 am

mylulaoshi wrote:This is ironic being a PSLE Chinese Specialist myself. I don't agree students require regular tuition. Our students come, rectify their issue, achieve their goal within a few months. Unless parents/student are clear of their objective, then tuition will serve it's purpose. Tuition is Medicine/ Vaccination/Protein Shake. Not Vitamin. No point wasting time/money on ineffective tuition.
It is because you are a specialist, that is why you have a clearer understanding. :smile:

Imo, the education received in the school should be the staple, i.e. the carbohydrates that we consume in our food. Tuition, especially those that are not aligned with the MOE curriculum or that does not serve the purpose as a medicine or protein shake, should not be placed before school. If the children listen in class, refer to their lesson materials when doing assignments and ask good questions, attending regular tuition will only dampen their interest in the subjects and give them unnecessary confidence.

Parents should indeed find the root cause and address it accordingly, instead of blindly listening to recommendations. I find it disturbing when some tutors dump assessment books onto the children, causing them unable to finish the school's assignments. Some children're weak due to poor foundation or lack of understanding, not lack of practices! Tuition should make up for the differences that schools cannot fully provide, such as more play to boost confidence and interest.

Meiling090
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 17,

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by Meiling090 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:21 pm

kids definitely need tuition, unless u r a teacher yourself or are really good at the school subjects...

FindHomeTuition
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 11,

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by FindHomeTuition » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Just another person in the education sector sharing my opinion.

Well, when it comes to tuition, I think take what other parents are doing with a pinch of salt, no point to keep comparing how many enrichment classes other kids have/ the super tutors they're hiring etc.

Choose a tutor if you recognise that it is a need that your child has, are they struggling in their early years of education? If you child is in pri 1-3 but they're not able to show basic knowledge of their subjects, its best not to wait. However if they seem to be able to understand basic concepts but simply make careless mistakes then its something you are able to rectify by spending more time working on papers and syllabus with them :)

Some helpful articles:
https://smiletutor.sg/5-biggest-misconc ... g-a-tutor/
https://smiletutor.sg/when-tuition-does ... than-harm/
https://smiletutor.sg/complete-guide-to ... -and-more/

SS Mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 29,

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by SS Mum » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this. What should I expect Chinese tutor to teach during tuition time? My dd grades slide a lot after this year SA1. So I got her a tutor but seems like every lesson just reading textbook and doing tingxie? I can also do this myself. Getting the feeling I’m wasting my hard earned money. I’ve told the tutor what I’d like her to focus on but still seems the same. What does your tutor teach during tuition? As my child never had a tutor before I’m not sure what to expect. Help.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:147

Re: Does our kid really need tutor?

Post by zac's mum » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:20 pm

SS Mum wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:59 pm
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this. What should I expect Chinese tutor to teach during tuition time? My dd grades slide a lot after this year SA1. So I got her a tutor but seems like every lesson just reading textbook and doing tingxie? I can also do this myself. Getting the feeling I’m wasting my hard earned money. I’ve told the tutor what I’d like her to focus on but still seems the same. What does your tutor teach during tuition? As my child never had a tutor before I’m not sure what to expect. Help.
What did you ask the tutor to focus on?

Since the tutor is not doing what you requested, did she explain why she is just doing textbook and tingxie? Is it because your DD’s foundation is very weak or she is failing her tingxie, therefore need to go over these vocab over and over again during tuition lesson?

What are your tutor’s qualifications and experience? If she has no good explanation for just sticking to the basic stuff during tuition, then it’s very fishy & better to change to another one.

Proper Chinese tutors usually are able to train the kids for the major exam components, eg sentence construction/composition, oral reading out of comprehension passages (including explaining unfamiliar words), plus how to highlight clues and answer compre qns in the correct format.

Post Reply