time management for PSLE

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

time management for PSLE

Postby YJL » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 am

Hi,
time is flying very fast, with school supplementary classes & heavy work load, how to effectively schedule one revision time-table with so many subjects in mind and with the time left.
Appreciate any sharing :)

YJL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby OngMum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 am

Hi YJL, I concur…. time flown. It's now March.
I have the same struggle as you too, and I try to squeeze a hour each day to run thru each subject with my child. Not always a breeze but at least make some time. At the same time, I need to watch out her activity of the day - any training in school that wears her out.

I feel there’s no fix rule to time management. You need to work it out with your child and at his/her comfort level and your availability. There must be consistent efforts from both of you to see results. :D

Cheers!

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Preparing For PSLE Math

Postby Bentan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:12 am

For Maths, I typically want my P6 student to clear all concepts before June holiday.

June holiday is for the student to keep doing Section A, B and part of C (Total=50%). Make sure the student is able to score 50/50 almost all the time. By end of June holiday, if a student is able to acheive 50/50 consistently, you can be assured that he is quite thorough with his math concepts.

After June is for the student to be familiar with the word problems in the remaining 50%. Usually all schools are also drilling students heavily on word problem after June. It is important to help student cultivate a positive attitude towards this part of the paper. Most students have their math fear to overcome.

One important reminder to all parents: The 2 languages carry more weight than Math and Science. Make sure your child is spending proportionate time on the 2 lanuuages.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby csc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:21 am

June holiday is for the student to keep doing Section A, B and part of C (Total=50%). Make sure the student is able to score 50/50 almost all the time. By end of June holiday, if a student is able to acheive 50/50 consistently, you can be assured that he is quite thorough with his math concepts.

That's a great idea especially for those who are borderline cases. Doing well in Section A and B builds confidence in the student too. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Preparing For PSLE Math

Postby corn jiagong » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Bentan wrote:For Maths, I typically want my P6 student to clear all concepts before June holiday.

After June is for the student to be familiar with the word problems in the remaining 50%. Usually all schools are also drilling students heavily on word problem after June. It is important to help student cultivate a positive attitude towards this part of the paper. Most students have their math fear to overcome.

One important reminder to all parents: The 2 languages carry more weight than Math and Science. Make sure your child is spending proportionate time on the 2 lanuuages.

wow...great to see these schedule here... as my son having his PSLE n don't know how to help him start the preparation... thanks!!!

corn jiagong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lego » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 am

I thought it's equal weightage for all the four subjects. :?

lego
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:19 am

Doesn't sound logical if the subjects are not given equal weightage.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:38 am

Bentan wrote:

Are you sure ? At every briefing by the school, the principal emphasized that every subject has equal weightage : 75 / 300 for the T-score.

Where is the evidence to say that the 2 languages carry more weight ? And what weight ? 80/300 ? 85/300 ? I want to know.

Thanks!
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Sujects Weightage

Postby tweet » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:21 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
Bentan wrote:

Are you sure ? At every briefing by the school, the principal emphasized that every subject has equal weightage : 75 / 300 for the T-score.

Where is the evidence to say that the 2 languages carry more weight ? And what weight ? 80/300 ? 85/300 ? I want to know.

Thanks!

Hi

I attended the PSLE Talk by my son's school last month.The principal also mentioned every subject has equal weightage.

Rgds

tweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Sujects Weightage

Postby jess6545 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:18 pm

tweet wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:
Bentan wrote:

Thanks!

Hi

I attended the PSLE Talk by my son's school last month.The principal also mentioned every subject has equal weightage.

Rgds

I had a discussion with the VP of my son's school on this. The weightage given to each subject should be the same ... there is no indication even to the schools about differing weightage. More importantly, the T-score is computed based on the mean ... so we must advise our children that if the paper is easy, they should not be too happy ... but must ensure that they check thoroughly so as to ensure no careless mistakes. If it is too difficult, don't give up ...

By the way, came across a website with online worksheet ... http://p6.learninghub.sg .... hopefully they will upload more worksheets for online practise as we move closer to the THE DAY!

jess6545
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support