Form teacher wants to meet parents

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Form teacher wants to meet parents

Postby KoalaMummy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 pm

My P4 son's form teacher just called and want to meet up with me and hubby. Apparently he has not been doing well in school, but it's only the begining of school, why is the teacher so kiasu???

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:47 pm

I think the school wants to alert you first before it is too late and to see what can be done in both school and at home to help your son.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:51 pm

i know. but u know what the teacher say " your son is not ready for primary school..." what does she mean by that?? he has been there for 4 years... and he's quite bright.. but alas, he's lazy and lack concentration...

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:57 pm

How has his results been?

Take it in a positve light. Go and see what the teacher has to say. Maybe she is trying to find ways to collaborate with parents to help your son do better?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Finding out

Postby janet88 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi KoalaMummy,
I guess I will be worried if my son's teacher told me he is not ready for primary school.

Your son is intelligent but not performing, maybe his teacher called with the intention to work with you to bring out the best in him. Since it's still early, you have time to work with your boy.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks Janet and MMM. Yes, maybe i should take it positively. but i just can't help getting worried esp to what the teacher had commented... so what do we do if he's not ready for school?? take him out of school?? transfer??...

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

transfer him out of school??? take him out of school???

of course not!

have a chat with the teacher, find out what the problem is. have a chat with son and tell him yours and the teacher's concerns. give him time/space to sort out whatever problems there are. give him support as well.

have a chat with other parents to see if their kids are coping well etc and is this teacher the "gan cheong" type (over academic performance). sometimes over "gan cheong" teachers tend to stress themselves and athe kids out.

but at least this teacher takes the trouble to call you to have a chat and i think that's great.

cheers

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks, LOLMum.. hehe... i think too much sometimes... :oops: Anyway, have made arrangement to meet the teacher next week... hope everything turns out well :pray: ... just don't understand why the teacher say my son is not ready for primary school. :|

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Luvkid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:17 pm

wow, surprised to hear teacher gave such comment. Teachers nowadays should be cautious on words they used, or else we as parents will "shoot" to principal or MOE :evil:

My P2 boy form teacher is careful on her words when we communicate with each other through email. Every words she used, she don't pin point on DS only, she said something like," Not only him, is most of the students...." :wink: Think she is dead worried that i will be offeneded :rotflmao:

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yerdua » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 pm

well, my ds's P1 ptm is coming.

What are the questions do parents usually ask or what kind of info to parents lookout for during such sessions.
I always get tongue-tied and when i get home then i have hundred and one qns to ask....

What do fellow parents suggest?

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support