HOW TO MOTIVATE CHILDREN TO READ STORY BOOKS

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

HOW TO MOTIVATE CHILDREN TO READ STORY BOOKS

Postby peggy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Help! My P4 son refuses to read storybooks. Any tips ?

peggy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm

hi peggy,

My personal experience. I started reading to my kids since young and wanted to make sure they love to read (so far DS1 is a success, DS2 still work in progress).

I try to cater to their interests (subject to certain conditions) - if he likes dinosaurs, I'll hunt out such books for him. Stuff I won't go for - those that include themes that I feel is not appropriate. For DS2 (3 y/o), I buy sticker books to sustain his interest.

Go to the library...let him roam, explore and enjoy the books and the aircon. It was the only place I went regularly when young and from there I picked up the love of reading. Library is a FANTASTIC source of books - both classics and current. Sorry, not quite clued in as to what type of books are good for his age. DS1 (5 y/o) is now into Magic Treehouse series. I think Geronimo Stilton series is a popular bet. Or you may want to start with comics like TinTin.

Institute bedtime reading....your child is a bit older now, not sure how this will work. Initially my kids didn't quite like it; but now they clamour for it.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby OngMum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Peggy,

Alternatively, you may like to encourage him to read newspaper articles. You can either pick or let him chooses what he wanna read.

I chanced upon this book from Popular - Approaching English through News by Diana Tham. The level is for Sec 1 but the news in there specially written to encourage children's interest in newspaper articles. They are quite refreshing, educational and interesting. This book motivates children to think critically and creatively. I have my daughter picks a newspaper article that she likes to read and then we attempt the questions and exercises together in line with the article. It is currently on sales now at $9.54.

Cheers!

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby peggy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Parents,

Thanks for your suggestions ! Will try out.

Cheers !

peggy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support