Higher Chinese

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Higher Chinese

Postby metz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:13 pm

I have just found out that neighbourhood schools are also offering Higher Chinese. Does the mean kids in these schools are to take Higher Chinese from Primary 1? Or do they have a choice to select the normal Chinese course? TIA.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby raysusan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:06 pm

AFAIK
HC only starts at p4

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mumwgals » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:24 pm

I think by now, all school should have started on the new [Mandarin] Chinese language curriculum.

My elder's gal previous sch was the 1st of the 25 sch who started on this new curriculum. They have 3 level of chinese programme & HC programme from P1 onwards, except those SAP sch whereby only HC is offered. It is the Bridging, Core, Enrichment and Higher Chinese. For those with not much chinese exposure, he/she will get off to start with the Bridging module and move on to the Core module. And for those who are better, they can start off from Enrichment or higher chinese. The sch will then base on individual student's progress and make arrangement for them to attend the appropreaite class, about every 6mths. So there will be some movement in the class for chinese lesson. All the students take the same papers for P1 & P2, no higher chinese paper. But I understand that there will be higher chinese paper from P4 onwards. Sorry, I'm not sure of P3 because she transferred out before P3.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby metz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks ladies.

Hi mumwgals,

All along I have the notion that only selected (SAP etc) primary schools offer Higher Chinese from Primary 1. But a mom from Seng Kang Pri told me her kid is doing the Higher Chinese syllabus in P1. However, I'm not sure if the said school offers 2 different sets of Chinese exams.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mumwgals » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:52 am

Hi chamonix,

I just called my friend whose daughter is in Compassvale Pri & doing Higher Chinese. She said the whole sch has only one chinese paper for each level till P4. In P5, there will be 2 seperate papers, one for normal chinese & one for Higher chinese.

My elder gal is in a SAP sch now, they have also only one paper for P1 -P4, but in P5 that there will be 2 papers, one normal & one HC.

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support