P1 Chinese

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

P1 Chinese

Postby JJMummy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 pm

My boy has started P1 this yr. His HYPY is so far not a prob becos it is similar to English, but I'm worried of is his regonition ability in chinese characters. I understand that 80% of P1 Chinese is on HYPY. Any parents from P2 onwards can advise...Till when will the sch starts introducing Chinese characters? :?:

JJMummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Usually from P1 term 2, they will start to introduce the chinese characters.

But for SA1, the focus is still very much on hypy and some chinese characters. But from term 3 onwards, alot of focus will be on chinese characters.

Probably you can help him by revising the words with him. Through regular exposure, he will be begin to recognise the words better. This can be done via word card as well as reading.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: P1 Chinese

Postby jedamum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm

JJMummy wrote:My boy has started P1 this yr. His HYPY is so far not a prob becos it is similar to English, but I'm worried of is his regonition ability in chinese characters. I understand that 80% of P1 Chinese is on HYPY. Any parents from P2 onwards can advise...Till when will the sch starts introducing Chinese characters? :?:

second semester of P1 will start character recognition.
look at the back pages of the chinese textbook; there is a supposed-to-know list of chinese words.
P2 is mainly chinese characters; lesser emphasis on HYPY.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

动画版电子周刊

Postby workstudy99 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:08 pm

workstudy99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby JJMummy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:28 pm

jedamum wrote:
JJMummy wrote:My boy has started P1 this yr. His HYPY is so far not a prob becos it is similar to English, but I'm worried of is his regonition ability in chinese characters. I understand that 80% of P1 Chinese is on HYPY. Any parents from P2 onwards can advise...Till when will the sch starts introducing Chinese characters? :?:

second semester of P1 will start character recognition.
look at the back pages of the chinese textbook; there is a supposed-to-know list of chinese words.
P2 is mainly chinese characters; lesser emphasis on HYPY.

Sigh! Thats my most worrying part. My boy mainly speaks English from young, so his Mandarin was only built up when he started sch. Now, alot of Chinese words is alien to him. Has started him in a Chinese enrichment prog since last Nov. His HYPY is strong but when it comes to a qn asking for HYPY by looking at a pic, he sometimes dun even know the chinese word for that pic, eg. Donkey/ Camel....Any gd sugg in improving his chinese base?

JJMummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby janet88 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 am

Hi JJMummy,
We speak English to our kids.
汉语拼音 is taught intensively for 6 weeks in the first half of P1. Chinese characters will be emphasised in second half of P1. In order to do well for Chinese exam, revise the 生子表 with your son, both the 识认字 and 识写字 section.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:53 am

Perhaps have a daily short session to introduce the characters to him and you can consider using a whiteboard to get him to practise writing. Bit by bit he will surely improve.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:55 am

CoffeeCat wrote:Perhaps have a daily short session to introduce the characters to him and you can consider using a whiteboard to get him to practise writing. Bit by bit he will surely improve.

try showing the words in parts, eg 一人大, 二人天,小大尖......they will see how interesting chinese words can be and it is fun to learn and this kind of learning will aid memory and construct meaning to the words....

in fact this kind of learning can be introduced at kindy level
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support