A pie in the sky for int'l students to be enrolled?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

A pie in the sky for int'l students to be enrolled?

Postby babyblissnz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 am

I’m just wondering if anybody out here can help me to make a decision.

We have been searching for a local primary school for our children in the past six months. I have called up many schools across Singapore and submitted waiting list application forms, but as of today, we have no success. I understand that their admission is subject to the availability of vacancies, provided there are no SC/SPR children on the schools’ waiting lists. The schools that I contacted were mainly those which have low take up rate for Pr 1 Registration – I thought that it indicates how full a school is.

Is it almost impossible for internationals to get in a local school except for by Pr1 Registration scheme? Are we wasting energy and time, so should move on? I am desperate and terribly confused.

:idea: :?

babyblissnz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 am

hmm I can only say keep trying. It could be just that the schools you applied to are quite full. I am pretty sure the schools in my area should be quite empty.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:36 pm

You should call up MOE direct to gt a list of schools ard your area with vacancies.

Your children may also need to take an entrance test. This is based on the foreign students I've coached over the past years to help them understand the local school system & content covered.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby babyblissnz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks, CoffeeCat.

Which area are you in??

We've tried all areas. There are three responses from schools - "We don't take any foreigners", "Are you locals? Oh, then we don't have any vacancies", and "You can fill up the waitlist form, but there are many children waiting"

We are not aiming those so-called blue chip schools. I mean, even unpopular schools (sorry!) from this website don't seem to have vacancies! That's why I am beginning to think that internationals need super good luck to get in at the mid stream...

babyblissnz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby babyblissnz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:15 am

Thank you mrswongtuition,

I requested MOE the list of schools twice in the past. Unfortunately, I haven’t had success each one of them. Our children haven't gotten that far to sit for an entrance exam!

You have coached students – that means, there are some internationals who got in local school! That’s very encouraging! Do you happen to know HOW they got in??

babyblissnz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 am

have you tried the area Yishun? The sub-population here is aging, just a couple of years back 1 school in Yishun only has 4 classes for 1 particular batch of students.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 am

Actually I heard that many local schools will like to take in International schooled kids to provide a different prespective. You needs to contact MOE :
International Student Admissions
Starting from admissions into academic year 2009 onwards, MOE will be conducting a centralised admissions exercise around Sep-Oct of each year for new international students who wish to join our mainstream public primary schools in January of the following year. This new exercise – the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS) – will involve a centralised test on English and Mathematics. Interested applicants are advised to refer to the MOE website for more details.

http://www.moe.edu.sg/education/admissi ... -exercise/

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby babyblissnz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Thank you, CoffeCat for the info.

I contacted two schools in the area. One - a long wait list, and the other - no foreigners.

I will try other schools, then.

Thanks again for your help!

:D :D

babyblissnz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Have you tried Tanjong Katong Primary School in the East? Heard that it's quite an 'international school' with all sorts of nationalities in there. Good luck.

Another 'international school' that I know of is YangZheng Primary, but between YangZheng and Tanjong Katong Primary, YZ is a more popular school, so there might be a waiting list already.

Postby babyblissnz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:22 pm

[quote="mummyjoyce"]Actually I heard that many local schools will like to take in International schooled kids to provide a different prespective. You needs to contact MOE :

Is it so!? It's another encouragement!! You gave me energy to carry on, mummyjoyce. Thanks a lot!

The biggest mistake I ever made was not applying for AEIS last year. The MOE officer told me that the placement was not guaranteed even if they pass the exam and our children were not necessary placed in the same school, it's all depend on vacancies. That put me off, but little did I know back then the difficulty I would face later. Now my older child is P5 and as a rule, she won't be accepted next year as P6... We don't have time!

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

babyblissnz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support