Anyone's kid taking PSLE this year?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Anyone's kid taking PSLE this year?

Postby super_dad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:58 am

Mine would be in 2 years time. *headache* Better start getting her to study for it..haha.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Anyone's kid taking PSLE this year?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 am

super_dad wrote:Mine would be in 2 years time. *headache* Better start getting her to study for it..haha.

I heard that P5 is actually the start of the school's preparation for PSLE. That's because most schools finish the PSLE syllabus by the middle of P6. So if your kid is in P5, she's already preparing for PSLE.

But kiasu parents start preparing from 3 months old :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:

3 months old? too late! :roll:
real kiasu parents start when the kid is still a foetus! :o

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:08 pm

jedamum wrote:
ChiefKiasu wrote:

3 months old? too late! :roll:
real kiasu parents start when the kid is still a foetus! :o

Wah... sure or not? So mothers-to-be must do more maths and sums during pregnancy? Or do they sell English/Chinese/Maths or motivational CDs which mums2B can playback to babies through those "belly-phones" for things like 1x2=2, 2x2=4, .... har?

Hey... u may have just invented an entirely untapped market... just for Singapore parents! Better go patent the idea quick.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:24 pm

I remembered during my school days...PSLE was the only exam that I really sit down to study. :P...the rest, just somehow breezed thru it. Did well enough to go Victoria...and then almost flung my first mid year exam, cos all the students there very bright one. haha.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lizawa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:47 pm

My son is doing PSLE this year. Very stressful, right from 1st day of school this year. And we were informed that they have to go back to school on the 1st and last week of June holidays to do revision and preparation. It's compulsory!

By the way, for Science, all the topics covered from P3 - P6 will be tested in the PSLE. So don't throw or give away your P3, P4 textbooks.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:43 pm

lizawa wrote:My son is doing PSLE this year. Very stressful, right from 1st day of school this year. And we were informed that they have to go back to school on the 1st and last week of June holidays to do revision and preparation. It's compulsory!

By the way, for Science, all the topics covered from P3 - P6 will be tested in the PSLE. So don't throw or give away your P3, P4 textbooks.

My son is only P3... but I sweat whenever I think of PSLE and what it will put us PARENTs through. Strangely, the kids seem to take it more lightly than the parents. I guess it the same as driving - once you know how to drive, your experience sitting as a passenger becomes quite different (and more frightening).

For Pri 6 students, I hear that their syllabus ends in June, and they spend the rest of the year studying for PSLE. Which school is your son in, lizawa? Are you planning to send him to any of those pre-PSLE-cramming programmes?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby lizawa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 am

My children are in Henry Park. No, no intention to send him to all those classes. They have so many activities in school that most of the free time left is spent on homework. You are right to say that syllabus will be covered at the latest by 2nd week of Term 3. Now, they are already able to do the past year PSLE papers. For Maths, most have been covered. For Science, still a few more topics to go. For languages, I can never figure what exactly are the "syllabus". So just have to expose them to more past exam questions.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PSLE in just 3 months(or less) time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby pslechamp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:56 pm

What am I going to do in this 3 months time?
I have already completed all my assessment books and now, I am stuck in the middle of the PSLE preparation period with nothing to do. What am I going to do?

pslechamp
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi, my kid is taking PSLE in another 1 month time. Yes, pressure from school started on day 1 of P6. Lots of practise and lots of talks from principal. In June holidays, went back to school in the week 1. Need to stay back in school about 2 to 3 days a week for enrichment class. But as prelim is near, the teacher seems to relax them a bit through playing games and not much work to bring home. This coming Sept holiday, no need to go back school.

I suggest kids should be mentally prepared when they are in P5 by cultivating good learning attitute, positive thinking, stress management or else they would get very stress in P6.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support