Is it important to have CCA in P3?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Is it important to have CCA in P3?

Postby Musicstar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:21 am

Hi,

I would like to hear all opinion whether is there a must to have CCA. If do not have any CCA will it affect when in Secondary school.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:10 am

cca in p3!?!??! .... is unlikely to have any impact. But a cca in p5 and p6 might be beneficial for the child's development. Not having a cca will not really have a negative impact for secondary school

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:19 am

CoffeeCat wrote:cca in p3!?!??! .... is unlikely to have any impact. But a cca in p5 and p6 might be beneficial for the child's development. Not having a cca will not really have a negative impact for secondary school

It will have a +ve impact if the child excels in the CCA and can use it as a credit for DSA, appealing.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gracious999 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:08 pm

It is good to start CCA in P3 when the school work is not overload yet. It is very impt to get a CCA your child is interested becos it is very impt if he/she want to apply DSA. To start early, it give him the opportunity to change (if he doesn't like) when he go to P4.

Gracious999
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Yes, I agree with earlier posting on the importance of CCA for potential DSA opportunities.

We are keeping that option open. My P3 actually started band since P2. She is interested in it so I hope that she will continue to P6 and potentially if her results is not bad we can consider using it for DSA one day?

For the same reason, my P2 also join band this year as if he were to join in P3, most likely he has to go for audition. We are just keeping this option open and not wait till P5 to P6 to realise that we miss the boat.

Due to that, I am capping them to 1 CCA as band will usually take up 2 days of their time.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Musicstar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 pm

I have a P3 girl and until now she does not has any CCA. That why I am worry what CCA which can suit her. She has joined the bowling selection and was rejected by the coach. Next, she joined netball also rejected by the coach. I feel very sad. She likes both of these but rejected but coach. Their school encourage P3 to join CCA but still need to undergo selection. Is it fair for the student. It has demoralised her after two rejection. I am still sourcing whether she can join like clubs & societies for her CCA.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:52 pm

mummyjoyce wrote:
CoffeeCat wrote:cca in p3!?!??! .... is unlikely to have any impact. But a cca in p5 and p6 might be beneficial for the child's development. Not having a cca will not really have a negative impact for secondary school

It will have a +ve impact if the child excels in the CCA and can use it as a credit for DSA, appealing.

I think CCA is fun for a child's development, whether or not he or she uses for DSA. My ds1 & ds2 have been having CCAs since p1. My dd1 had cca from p3.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Musicstar wrote:I have a P3 girl and until now she does not has any CCA. That why I am worry what CCA which can suit her. She has joined the bowling selection and was rejected by the coach. Next, she joined netball also rejected by the coach. I feel very sad. She likes both of these but rejected but coach. Their school encourage P3 to join CCA but still need to undergo selection. Is it fair for the student. It has demoralised her after two rejection. I am still sourcing whether she can join like clubs & societies for her CCA.

Just curious, are there any reasons why she is rejected by the coach??? Those 2 CCAs are high profile CCA in school that the school excels in competition??? Or are there specific reasons for the rejection?

I suppose the school should have other CCAs that she can choose from?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mummyjoyce » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Musicstar wrote:I have a P3 girl and until now she does not has any CCA. That why I am worry what CCA which can suit her. She has joined the bowling selection and was rejected by the coach. Next, she joined netball also rejected by the coach. I feel very sad. She likes both of these but rejected but coach. Their school encourage P3 to join CCA but still need to undergo selection. Is it fair for the student. It has demoralised her after two rejection. I am still sourcing whether she can join like clubs & societies for her CCA.

Things are different now; most of the popular CCA needs to go for trail and selections. However my DD's school has school team and non school team; the weaker players will be in the non school team but still can enjoy the sport.
Another of my DD is in Sec1 and it is even more stressful; something there are 50 people to flight for 2 places.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 pm

My dd's school organised a CCA orientation day for all P1/P2 kids. All the kids had a chance to go for screening. My dd was rejected by all the sports CCA except for track & field :|

Personally I prefer her to learn musical instruments since she doesn't attend any external music lessons. Yet to think along the line of DSA. I'm just treating her CCA as FREE musical lessons at this point in time. Beats paying $150/mth for private music lessons :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support