How to improve P2 English?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to improve P2 English?

Postby Musicstar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:01 pm

I have found out from my girl's journal book what she has written . There are many spelling mistakes and sentence structure not correct. I know that teacher cannot change the words or sentences for journal writing. Can she improve if she write on composition. That what I am worry about. I am not good at English to teach her write proper sentence . How to improve her English? I have buy a few assessment for her to do. It does not help. I have bring her to the library to borrow books . Anyone can advise me what can I do to improve her English . She does not have tuition as cannot afford it. I have attached a copy of her journal for reference. Thank you

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to improve P2 English?

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Musicstar wrote:I have found out from my girl's journal book what she has written . There are many spelling mistakes and sentence structure not correct. I know that teacher cannot change the words or sentences for journal writing. Can she improve if she write on composition. That what I am worry about. I am not good at English to teach her write proper sentence . How to improve her English? I have buy a few assessment for her to do. It does not help. I have bring her to the library to borrow books . Anyone can advise me what can I do to improve her English . She does not have tuition as cannot afford it. I have attached a copy of her journal for reference. Thank you

I am very sure doing compo does little to improve sentence structure, because the child is applying and practising her wrong conceptions of grammatical structure. Wrong practice doesn't make perfect, unless you sit down with her and correct her writings.
But otherwise i recommend getting a grammar book (there are many out there for primary school).
Also doing the assessment books must be accompanied by evaluation (for her to learn from her mistakes and where she is right). I am sure probability wise students will get the correct answer on some of their guesses and they may not know why their guesses are right.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:59 am

I suggest that you bring her to the library to borrow books on a regular basis. Reading will definitely improve her English. If she doesn't understand any word, teach her to use the dictionary. Building up her grammar skills and vocabulary is the key to writing good composition. Though teachers are not supposed to correct any grammar mistakes in the children's journal, they will correct their compositions.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Tang » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:09 am

Musicstar wrote:I have found out from my girl's journal book what she has written . There are many spelling mistakes and sentence structure not correct. I know that teacher cannot change the words or sentences for journal writing. Can she improve if she write on composition. That what I am worry about. I am not good at English to teach her write proper sentence . How to improve her English? I have buy a few assessment for her to do. It does not help. I have bring her to the library to borrow books . Anyone can advise me what can I do to improve her English . She does not have tuition as cannot afford it. I have attached a copy of her journal for reference. Thank you

Hi Auntie Musicstar,

If you are poor in English, you can't possibly help your daughter with her English. You will probably need external help. Or you may start learning it yourself before you can help her. Or better still both learn at the same time together with external help.

Despite the above, you can actually help your daughter with her contents. Using this journal entry as an example - What I know about the Life Cycle of a Butterfly, nothing was mentioned about eggs, larva (caterpillar) and pupa. By writing about laying eggs on leaves, caterpillars eating non-stop and pupa not eating and moving, she will get extra marks for her contents. This is something you definitely can do to help her.

Enjoy learning! Cheer!

Tang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Tang wrote:Despite the above, you can actually help your daughter with her contents.

hm...
i would have taken a different approach.
i would have zoom in onto spelling and proper sentence structure before focusing on contents.
to me, it is better to write a shorter but grammatically correct compo with correct sentence structure rather than a compo with good contents but riddled with spelling and grammer error.
jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Tang » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:59 pm

jedamum wrote:
Tang wrote:Despite the above, you can actually help your daughter with her contents.

hm...
i would have taken a different approach.
i would have zoom in onto spelling and proper sentence structure before focusing on contents.
to me, it is better to write a shorter but grammatically correct compo with correct sentence structure rather than a compo with good contents but riddled with spelling and grammer error.
jmho.

Haha,

I definitely did not suggest that Auntie Musicstar focus on contents alone, did I? Besides, language and contents carry equal weightage.

It is a chicken and egg problem, isn't it? If her daughter has no content to write about, even with the best vocabulary and correct spelling, it is just an empty piece of work without soul, isn't it?

It simply has to be a two-pronged approach, except the former will need external professional help. Do you agree, don't you?

Tang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Tang wrote:It is a chicken and egg problem, isn't it?
It simply has to be a two-pronged approach....
Do you agree, don't you?

agree :salute: :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Musicstar » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Thank you for everyone reply.

But how should I push her to study in the right track. So far I have given her to do synthesis & transformation, Casco Primary English & English & vocabulary worksheet. I did not buy any assessment book on sentence structure . Will this help. I am afraid that if she continues did not write in proper English , it affect her English in Secondary school. My nephews have taken their "O" result but failed their English. English is very important that why I am very worried.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:42 am

yes buy her a grammar book and more books on grammar practice! i am pretty sure there are practice books out there focusing on grammar like conquer <sth>. There is this thick book with 100 grammar worksheets, 100vocab worksheets, and many other practices. I think that book is very good value for money.
yea anyway use the grammar book to teach the rules for grammar.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sunflower2005 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 am

gave her read a lof of story books and
you can try to buy picture dictionary.

sunflower2005
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support