P6 Student seeking help : A few questions to ask.....

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

P6 Student seeking help : A few questions to ask.....

Postby hamsterss » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi,im a primary six student + newcomer here :oops:

Please answer my questions below :?:

1.Can anyone give me a example of a timetable for primary six student?

2.My psle target is 240 and the following is my last year result.
Eng - 79
Maths - 78
MT - 82
Sci - 68
Is my target to high?
Ps.i dunno the calculation for psle.Can anyone let me know how? :oops:

3.How to improve my science?! :?:

Thanks alot ! :lol:

hamsterss
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 pm

psle calculation is different from the usual add-up-everything-and-times-75%.
For each subject they give you a score based on your raw score compared to the average score of the cohort, in laymen terms. In other words its not so much about you against the paper but you against the many other students taking the psle like you.

Improve your science by...
1st understanding the concepts and how they relate to each other under a topic
next do more questions on that topic. Learn when you come across questions involving higher-order thinking & application skills.
Investing in good science assessment books or exam papers of other schools will be good.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:54 am

Hi Hamsterss,
I don't know what you mean by timetable here, if it's school timetable, you should have a much more busy schedule this year. Most schools will have various additional classes on top of your normal school hours. Your teachers will make arrangements for you and they'll usually give additional classes according to your (class) abilities. This is normal and you may be overwhelmed but console yourself that this is only temporary. You should also plan a timetable for yourself to revise your work. This timetable should include time for rest and recreation also. Remember to have adequate rest and sleep. No point studying till late at night and fall asleep in class. You need to pay full attention to your teachers in order to do well. Always ask questions when in doubt. Your teachers are there to help you.
For science, on top of what Coffeecat has shared, I would recommend that you watch science programs and read science books. The Primary School Science Encyclopedia covers extensively your science syllabus. Don't forget to revise everything you have been taught in P3 to P5 cos PSLE questions are not restricted to P6 topics. In other words, you will be tested in what you have learnt since P3.
Whatever your target score is, just concentrate on doing your best in all subjects. You may be surprised that you could surpass your target score. Work hard for these few months and remember that you reap what you sow. :ugogirl:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinkapple » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:17 am

sec school teacher speaking here.

how to improve ya sci:
I strongly believe in practice makes perfect.
Hence agree with coffecat - invest in good assessment books and other school papers.
PSLE Sci is very wide so u'll have to increase ya exposure to as many questions as possible.

as for ya target, I think besides Sci, you must also work on ya Math and Eng and move them to a 80+.
For Eng, work on ya grammar and vocab. Get assessment books with answers so you can check and learn yaself.
For Math, same thing - practice makes perfect. make sure you find how to do those sums you don't know. ask your teachers, or the gurus here.

pinkapple
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: A few questions to ask.....

Postby Tang » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:19 am

hamsterss wrote:Hi,im a primary six student + newcomer here :oops:

Eng - 79
Maths - 78
MT - 82
Sci - 68
Is my target to high?

Hi Hamsterss,

You can improve your Maths score by practising the challenging questions and avoiding careless mistakes.

For Science, understand the key concepts and key words. Also try to memorise standard answers to questions, they will come in handy when you need them to answer the PSLE questions.

You should have no problem achieving your target of 240. Try for 250 and above.

Good luck.

Brother Tang

Tang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Bentan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 am

hamsterss wrote:Hi,im a primary six student + newcomer here :oops:

Eng - 79
Maths - 78
MT - 82
Sci - 68
Is my target to high?

If you are attending Catholic School, they will tell you that your score for last year is 232.

If you are attending a top primary school, most likely you can get to 240 or 250 easily as your PSLE results are likely to be better than your school result.

As for time management, there is a thread on time management for PSLE at:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=9105

Wish you all the best for your PSLE ...

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hamsterss » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:28 pm

Bentan wrote:If you are attending Catholic School, they will tell you that your score for last year is 232.

If you are attending a top primary school, most likely you can get to 240 or 250 easily as your PSLE results are likely to be better than your school result.

As for time management, there is a thread on time management for PSLE at:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=9105

Wish you all the best for your PSLE ...

Thanks all for your suggestions! Anyway im from Si Ling Pri :oops:

hamsterss
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support