Mummy Funz's Funhouse

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.
Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Re: Mummy Funz's Funhouse

Post by Funz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Otah. Banana leaves freshly plucked from the banana tree at one of my centres. Cannot remember when was the last time I made this. Oven heating seems to be very uneven. Oh well, so long as it's cooked and tastes ok.

Gonna have otah and bread for breakfast tomorrow.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Yummy! I love otah but those bought from supermarkets taste lousy

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:160

Post by Nebbermind » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am

New Moon brand mackerel otah is quite good... Or was. Most of the muar ones in transparent packing cmi

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Post by Funz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:26 pm

New Moon still okay. But different from Nonya Otah. Lee Wee Bros otah also quite ok. With Nonya otah you may get diff taste with diff places. Guess typical of most Nonya cooking, every household have their own special recipe.

I do find most otah sold outside to be too sweet and not spicy enough. Mine will be labelled no added sugar but added chilli padi.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:39 pm

Outside otah is mainly the paste and little meat

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:160

Post by Nebbermind » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Funz wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:26 pm
New Moon still okay. But different from Nonya Otah. Lee Wee Bros otah also quite ok. With Nonya otah you may get diff taste with diff places. Guess typical of most Nonya cooking, every household have their own special recipe.

I do find most otah sold outside to be too sweet and not spicy enough. Mine will be labelled no added sugar but added chilli padi.

Such a coincidence that I just told wife that the latest batch of NM otak too spicy. I prefer not too spice so that I can enjoy the taste :wink:

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MyPillow » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:48 pm

So far I think Lee wee Bro spicy enuff n chunky meat
I feel otah too much coconut milk ? My office aunti always buy fr msia during holidays n give me

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Post by Funz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 am

New helper has been with us for over a month now. She is a very pleasant 44yrs old lady. Very pious catholic. A bit ott with her god bless and blessed day, praise the lord, god be with you, which takes some getting use to. Quite good with her cleaning abilities, very neat, so neat that I cannot find my things. :lol:

I am still trying to figure out if she is forgetful, cannot understand me or simply stubborn. She does not argue or anything, will apologise profusely if I so much as highlight how we prefer to do things a certain way. Been showing her how I like our beds to be made but till now, it is not done the way I want it. Showed her how we like our clothes to be folded and hung, and it is still not done to my request. He husband is Portuguese so she cooks Portuguese dishes. Told her to stick to indon dishes as we are not used to eating portu dishes. Showed her how to cook some Chinese dishes and even did up recipes with detailed instructions and pictures for her to follow. Told her never to refreeze anything that has been thawed but caught her doing that a few times. Told her leftover food must be placed in closed containers and in the fridge, cannot be left in the oven overnight. Still she left food in the ovens overnight a few times and I threw the food away in front of her, she heart pain, kept saying aiyoh, aiyoh, wasted. Told her during interview, when she first came and when I was teaching her how to cook dishes that we usually eat, she must always prepare a meat dish. Told her DS is mildly allergic to seafood so he will avoid them and he is picky about the type of fish so easiest is to make sure there is meat. Yet 3 times, she cooked only prawns for dinner. When I pointed out to her, must have meat and DS does not eat prawns, she :slapshead: and went oh yah, oh yah.

Just yesterday, told her to use up the 2 small potatoes that she cut wrongly for me (she cut cubed instead of chunks) and the leftover luncheon meat, fry with some diced yellow onions for a simple dish. She got creative and added some rempah and gula melaka. I asked her what style is this she laughed and said she thought she try something new. :stupid:

Another challenge is with the amount that she cooks. We are a family of relatively small eaters. And yet, what she cooks is not enough. She bought a head of broccoli but cooked only 1/2 of that and that is meant for 5 people. Each person literally has only 2 small florets. Told her to cook radish soup, she used only 1/2 the radish and with 4 small pieces of pork rib. Each of us had barely 1/2 a bowl of soup with 2 pieces of radish. Cooked potato and minced meat, 1 small potato and 100g of minced meat. Fried spinach, only used 1/2 a pack of the spinach that I bought for NTUC. I cooked Soto and told her to soak some beehoon. She soaked only 1/3 pack of beehoon. Cooked chicken wings, only 8 midwings. Cooked curry with boneless chicken leg and used only 1 piece. Each of these dishes is meant for 5 people. And it is not as if she cooks a lot of dishes like those Korean side dishes, she usually cooks only 2 dishes each meal. Spoke to her last night again, and she told me mam, dinner eat little enough, dun eat too much. I told her if she want to eat very little she go ahead but I have a growing boy and a super active girl, they need to eat enough during meals or they end up snacking a lot and cooking instant noodles for supper!

I was telling my sisters and they were :laugh: at me. Told me she doing French style fine dining lah. Haiz, she is a very nice sincere lady who came out to work because she is determined to send her daughter to uni so that they can break out of their current SES. I hope she picks up and follow my instructions better. If she is able to I think she will be a rather decent helper.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:45

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:23 am

She sounds like will become a good helper leh..she thinks out of the box, she doesn't follow instructions blindly, she has initiative, she is not going to be dull in conversation/cooking style etc etc... isn't she what many employers looking for huh :lol:

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MyPillow » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 am

funz, your account of her story is so funny.,
fr your story, she "sounds" like fili helper .. .those can speak fluent ang mo, but have own strong belief , i feel she is more of the "stubborn to her own thoughts n ideas" type ... abt our age - cannot be that absent minded - some more u had patiently showed her steps by steps with written process - amatter of dun wana follow rules

u have a "rebellious old kid" on board, need to break the hard nut ;p