Mummy ExpatMom: Hi from a newbie expat mom

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy ExpatMom: Hi from a newbie expat mom

Postby ExpatMom » Wed May 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Hello, I'm relatively new to Singapore.

How do local parents typically scope out the schools? I called one asking if I could come by and check it out, but I could tell this was not a normal request as the staff member seemed confused. I've sent emails asking questions but often get no response or I'll get a response back that never quite answers my questions. And I don't see any information on Open Houses (maybe it's not the season for it yet?).

So I'd like to ask the locals... what is your process for selecting a Primary school?
Last edited by ExpatMom on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExpatMom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby LKVM » Wed May 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Welcome to KSP

:welcome: :welcome:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Wed May 05, 2010 6:06 pm

:welcome: to KSP & Singapore !

:celebrate:

you definitely come to the right place for the answer you seek ! :wink:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby BigDevil » Wed May 05, 2010 6:10 pm

:welcome: to KSP

and

:welcome: to Singapore! :celebrate:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby mintcc » Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 pm

:welcome: ExpatMom, hope you have a good stay in Singapore

For the process for selecting a Primary school check out
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... -singapore

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Wed May 05, 2010 6:29 pm

:rahrah: :welcome: :welcome: :rahrah:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby toddles » Wed May 05, 2010 6:55 pm

welcome!

you can join NSMG too - google it. :)

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ExpatMom » Wed May 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I read the link, but it didn't really tell me what I needed to know. Here are some of my questions:

1. My son's mother tongue is English. He is just now starting to learn Mandarin. Will he be tested next year at the same level of Mandarin as other kids who have been speaking Mandarin since they first starting to speak? My primary concern here is that his confidence and morale will take a hit if he walks into a test with such a disadvantage. Are there any schools that offer a 2nd language Mandarin test (or exempt kids from the test altogether) for those who choose the English / Mandarin combination for their languages? I personally would have no problem if my son came home with a bad test score in Mandarin considering the circumstances, but I am afraid he will feel like he has let himself down.

2. How diverse are the public schools? I'd like to find a school with a mix of kids from many different backgrounds as he will probably find it easier to fit in under those settings. I'm not too concerned about this point as he does tend to be very social and is good at making friends, but it might ease his transition if there is a good variety of kids.

3. How do you go about getting a look at the school? Are there typically open houses? If so, when do they usually occur (and will there likely be a bunch of them before the next registration cycle)? Can you request a tour? Will they let you on campus after school hours or over the weekend?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

ExpatMom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BlurBee » Wed May 05, 2010 8:04 pm

:welcome:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ExpatMom » Wed May 05, 2010 8:05 pm

toddles wrote:welcome!

you can join NSMG too - google it. :)

Thanks for the tip. I have been talking with others expats, however almost all of the ones I meet seem to have put their kids into International schools. Also, very few of the ones I've met at networking events live as far out as I do (Jurong area). Since my situation is specific to the Singapore public school system, I really need feedback from parents who have their kids in that system (thus why I am here). :)

ExpatMom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs