Mummy JGMum reporting...

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy JGMum reporting...

Postby JGMum » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi, I am a mum of a 3YO, a 19mth old, and another on the way. I have been following KiasuParents for a while, and find that the information given here is really useful. Thanks for setting up this platform for parents to share info and feedback.

JGMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cckmummy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Welcome JGMum,
Wow! I'm impressed, u are having a 3rd child. Congrats! Are u a SAHM? I have 2 girls, one 3YO and one 13mth.

cckmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby JGMum » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 pm

I wonder why nearly everyone asks that question on this forum...

Yes, I am a SAHM, on no-pay leave for 1 year. I am supposed to be back at work in 2 months time, but since this unexpected 3rd one, I will probably extend my no-pay leave. Too paiseh, going back to work for a couple of months, then go on maternity leave again.

JGMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:44 pm

JGMum wrote:I wonder why nearly everyone asks that question on this forum...

Yes, I am a SAHM, on no-pay leave for 1 year. I am supposed to be back at work in 2 months time, but since this unexpected 3rd one, I will probably extend my no-pay leave. Too paiseh, going back to work for a couple of months, then go on maternity leave again.

If you are in a hardware forum, people would ask you what CPU/graphics card/RAM/harddisk/ you have at home. If you are at a mobile phone enthusiast site, then you want to show off the spanking new iPhone 3G to everyone's ooohs and ahhs.

Since we are in a parenting site, of course we want to know how many children you have, and how you are looking after them. Welcome to Kaypo... er.... KiasuParents.com!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:59 pm

JGMum,
I guess also cos we hardly find FTWM who has a brood of 3 kids and more (they are the minority), and presume that most with that amount of kids are SAHM. ;)
Welcome to KSP. 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby JGMum » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:33 am

Jedamum, thanks for the welcome.
Indeed, it is very difficult to have 3 kids and still try to manage a career. Our original plan was "stop at two" cos we think that is the ideal number for managing work-life balance and financial resources (who can guarantee their children can get into local uni? Better to budget for overseas tertiary education). Plus the children will have a sibling/playmate, so won't feel so lonely. Now with the 3rd one coming, I seriously don't know what to do. Absolutely no confidence to manage a career with 3 kids. Maybe I have to "downgrade" to a "job" instead of "career". Or maybe stay home full-time for the next couple of years until baby is older? Undecided...

JGMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:55 pm

JGMum wrote: Undecided...

I think it is pretty generous of your company to give you 1 yr no-pay leave. That probably means that they value your contributions to the company.
Knowing that i'll quit after the birth of my secondborn, I was also too paisay to utilise the maternity leave (after what they have done to arrange part-time work for me) and left a month before I was due. Although the part time prospects in the coy is still opened for me, I find it hard to juggle a 'career' and the kids. Call me a perfectionist, but I can't treat a 'career' like a 'job' without feeling that I am shortchanging my employer.
As your kids are within age-gap of 4 years old, you may want to consider getting a few years off. But then, you may risk getting too attached to the kids (like I do!) to want to be away from them for 8hrs a day, 5 days a week. :(
Part time work or work from home is another good option. But with 3 kids, you may need a helper.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby JGMum » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Jedamum, thanks so much for your sharing. I feel better knowing that I am not alone.
I had difficulty trying to balance work and kids after the 2nd one. I was feeling guilty about not performing at work, and not "performing" as a mum. I actually tendered my resignation after my second one, but my boss arranged for me to go on no-pay leave. For that, I am really grateful to him. That is also why, I feel that I should not go back and work a couple of months, then go on maternity leave again (even though many friends and family members think I am crazy to forgo the maternity leave $). Thankfully, DH understands and supports my decision. If extension is no longer possible, then I guess I will just have to leave the org, and look for a job again when the baby is older.
Indeed, part-time work would be a good compromise, but there are not many around. But I must say, I did not regret staying at home all this while. My older kid is now closer to me than before.

JGMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:08 pm

JGMum wrote:Indeed, part-time work would be a good compromise, but there are not many around. But I must say, I did not regret staying at home all this while. My older kid is now closer to me than before.

Is your coy able to arrange for part-time/work from home/assignment basis work?
That can at least keep you connected to your industry should you decide to go back full time in the future.
I don't forsee me going back working anytime soon as my husband wants me to focus on the kids, especially since my elder is starting primary education next year.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby JGMum » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:06 pm

That will be most ideal! I will talk to my boss and HR to explore the possibilities nearer the date of my return. But it may be a bit difficult as my work is operational in nature. Unless they are willing to transfer me to another department that does not involve front line work.

JGMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs