Mummy PlayfulFairy: Bonjour to all :) from a worried mom

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy PlayfulFairy: Bonjour to all :) from a worried mom

Postby PlayfulFairy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi,

I'm a SAHM(newly appointed) of a 5 yrs old gal and a 3+ mths old gal. Found this site on accident, and wow its indeed a chest of treasure(of information!)

My 5yrs old gal loves drama, art( she can draw for hours) but will start to yawn/fidget upon doing serious work (like counting, learning chinese spelling for her enrichment class, writing for Lorna Whiston etc). She thinks only P1 kids need to do homework (well, she doesnt need to do any homework in her school). When she does her work, she just wants to finish quickly and get it over. When I teach her, she claims that she understands (says "I know, I know" impatiently) the concepts. Then, when she embarks on the sums, she tells me she can't do it! She is not motivated to read on her own either despite all the dramatic story- telling sessions that I gave her..

Perhaps someone here can enlighten me how to motivate her to be serious in learning ( yes, beside using manipulatives, songs, stories, fun ways)? She can't even spell for English at all... For what I know, she needs to write 8 sentences for a picture composition in P1...

Thanks in advance for reading :)

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Mummy PlayfulFairy: Bonjour to all :) from a worried mom

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:21 pm

PlayfulFairy wrote:...My 5yrs old gal loves drama, art( she can draw for hours) but will start to yawn/fidget upon doing serious work (like counting, learning chinese spelling for her enrichment class, writing for Lorna Whiston etc)...

Hi PlayfulFairy, welcome to KiasuParents.com! There is nothing wrong with your gal - she is simply being a child - and all children generally hates to do anything they don't enjoy doing. Honestly, things like 听写 and spelling can be quite daunting to any child at that age. We parents only make it worse for our children by forcing them to learn it using threats or rewards. At that age, we have to appeal to their natural state, which is to learn through play. So it is important to make things fun for them, so that they can learn without even knowing they are doing so. For example, since your child like to draw, perhaps you can explain how the Chinese characters were actually derived from simple drawings. You can research on how the Chinese characters evolved over the ages and show them to your child. For example, you may print out the chart in this page. That will lead to curiosity about other words and make learning fun for the child.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby 2galsmum » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Yeah....my elder (going to P1 next year) used to avoid homework too but now she is motivated to do it herself....If I care too much, she lets go. If I don't bother a lot, she will be worried and keep reminding me to test her spelling.

My younger at three loves the 'na', 'shu'....the chinese strokes in her enrichment class now! Should cultivate the interest first, i feel.

Have encounter parents who made children memorise the 'san zi jin' at 2-3 years old, now at 7, the children hates chinese..

2galsmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs