Mummy : Aaronmom - Greetings from USA

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy : Aaronmom - Greetings from USA

Postby Aaronmom » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Hello everyone,
I am a Singaporean but now lives in Los Angeles. I have a almost 3 year 11 month old son and am usually not that much of a "academics kiasu" mom. Nevertheless, since I am singaporean, I do have the kiasu blood. So just for sake of comparison, what would you say a typical 3 year old would have accomplish (Singapore standard) and also a typical 4 year old. Like I mentioned my son is almost 4 but I don't really feel the school taught him anything?! He can write his name but I don't think all the letters and numbers. He can count to 29 but I don't think he recognize the numbers to 29.... Knows to count objects and very simple addition like 1+2, 2+2. He knows some phonics like if I say lion, he will know it starts from L, but cannot read words yet. In terms of chinese, obviously super limited as my husband is caucasian. Would really appreciate your input. Thanks everyone.
Sandra

Aaronmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby qms » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 pm

:welcome:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby BlurBee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:57 pm

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby auntieM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello! :rahrah:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LKVM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Welcome to KSP

:welcome: :welcome:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Greetings from USA

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Aaronmom wrote:Hello everyone,
I am a Singaporean but now lives in Los Angeles. I have a almost 3 year 11 month old son and am usually not that much of a "academics kiasu" mom. Nevertheless, since I am singaporean, I do have the kiasu blood. So just for sake of comparison, what would you say a typical 3 year old would have accomplish (Singapore standard) and also a typical 4 year old. Like I mentioned my son is almost 4 but I don't really feel the school taught him anything?! He can write his name but I don't think all the letters and numbers. He can count to 29 but I don't think he recognize the numbers to 29.... Knows to count objects and very simple addition like 1+2, 2+2. He knows some phonics like if I say lion, he will know it starts from L, but cannot read words yet. In terms of chinese, obviously super limited as my husband is caucasian. Would really appreciate your input. Thanks everyone.
Sandra

Welcome to KiasuParents.com, Aaronmom. It will be very difficult for you to get your kid to learn Chinese in the US, unless you have some older family members at home who only converse with him in Chinese. Do you plan to return to Singapore for his formal education?

As for phonics, there are plenty of shared experiences in this forum.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 pm

:welcome: to KSP

:celebrate:

tankee
Site Admin

Welcome!

Postby DesertWind » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Hello!

I always thought that in the US the educational resources are very rich ie. Sesame Street, Barney, etc..etc... But the pase may not be so break-neck like in SG. My friend's daughter just at 2.5 yo attending Nursery 1 already has classmates who are ALL attending some form of enrichment or the other ie. Montesorri Maths & Phonics, Right-brain training, chinese enrichment, music etc..etc...

Since you are already in the U.S, perhaps you can check out their pase (izzit the right spelling sorry somehow doesn't seem right, what I mean is the "timing") and then step right in?

Me no expert here but welcome you to this forum to share with us! My DS is 2.5 yo!
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skirtdressnsuch » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:58 pm

:lovesite: :welcome: :lovesite:

skirtdressnsuch
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fussyMummy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:47 am

:rahrah: :welcome: :please:

fussyMummy