Mummy snowflake: Reporting now and hope there will be light!

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy snowflake: Reporting now and hope there will be light!

Postby snowflake » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:44 pm

I'm a full time working mum with 2 kids-one 5 and the other going 3 by year end.

I've been looking around for a decent primary school in the east for my daughter who is going to P1 in 2010. I chanced upon this website only after checking several searches. I'm relieved finally as this site is certainly very informative, interesting and insightful, especially for newbies like me who does not have any convenient "kakis" to check with {been too busy with work :( , not that its a good excuse!}. It has definitely helped to define each school beyond the information found on the MOE website.

I have narrowed the choices for my daughter's primary school to:
1. Haig Girls School, (Phase 2C, >2km)
2. Geylang Methodist Primary School (Phase 2C, >2km)
3. Tanjong Katong Primary School (Phase 2C, >2km)

I've also done some legwork and have found out that for Haig Girls School (6 P1 classes, single session, Higher Chinese from P2 onwards); Geylang Methodist Primary (10 P1 classes, double session, Higher Chinese from P5 onwards, school building newly completed in 2005 and probably better IT equipped); Tanjong Katong Primary School (now 10 P1 classes, single session, but wef 2009, 11 P1 classes in the afternoon, and wef 2010, 11 P1 classes and P2 classes in the afternoon).

There's not much information that is available for Haig Girls School. I understand it used to be a good school. Any particular why has it not been sought after by parents? Would anyone be able to shed some light as to how this school is like now? Which of the 3 primary schools would you think is better and why?

Appreciate all kinds of feedback :-)

snowflake
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby aggellim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:06 am

HI snowflake Welcome to the forum :lol:

I think Geylang Methodist Primary School is still a much better school than a normal neighbourhood school if you want to compare academic results. Is your child a motivated learner? From what I've heard of friends with kids there ,Geylang Methodist Primary School is very stressful and there's lots of HW. :roll:

If possible, go to the school in the morning when the pupils are walking to the sch or during the dismissal hours. Hopefully you can meet some parents and get to talk to them to find out more about the school.

- An all-girls' education may actually be good for girls who tend to be socially awkward and shy. A girls' school is more likely to be more sensitive to girls' needs than in a co-ed situation. Although the more boisterous girls usually gains attention from their peers and teachers, the shyer girls actually have a larger pool of people to form friendships with.

- Also, research do show that for some subjects like Math, girls tend to not do as well as boys, so in a girls' school, these subjects are usually given more focus.

- Single sex schools have a higher chance of providing a better rounded education because there is no stereotyping as to what subjects or activities are "for boys" (e.g. science, math, rock climbing) and what "for girls" (e.g. languages, arts, dance), so the kids are more exposed to different things without fear of being labelled .

- government aided schools and Govt schools differ not only in the way they are funded.

- government aided schools are allowed autonomy in the way they transmit school values to aided heir students. Govt schools have to be secular in their teachings, but GA schools are allowed to teach values in terms of their religious beliefs.

- Also,government aided schools tend to have a longer history compared to most Govt schools. This history usually lead to the GA schools being staffed with ex-students, which in turns lead to a stronger sense of school spirit.

-government aided schools also usually have stronger Alumni (which is part of the fund-raising effort), and this usually compels the school to focus a great deal on their school results, so that they can also please the Alumni. Of course, this is not to say that Govt schools don't perform - a great many do for school pride, but in GA schools, the number of stakeholders in the school is greater.

- A great number of government aided schools are single-sex schools (Only 2 Government primary schools are single sex: Haig Girls' and Raffles Girls'). Some government aided schools are linked to either clan associations or religious groups.

i believe For parents who are "kancheong" about more preparation for PSLE, this school would "appear" to be "underperforming"! ke... :lol:

it's really all up to you. There are certainly more factors to consider than whether a school is government aided school or not.

So perhaps some research into these schools would help in making a decision .

Hope to see you actively involved in the discussions here . :mrgreen:

aggellim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby snowflake » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks aggellim for your detailed reply and trying to size up the pros and cons, really appreciate that :D.

My girl is definitely not the shy one, she is quite outspoken - first to report to the teacher what her little brother did wrong type:-), well the small one is not to be out-talked too by his che che 8)

Anyway, back to this topic, sounds like the academic stress level at GMPS and Haig Girls could be opposite ends :shock: However, what about in terms of overall character, personality development? Any comments about students from Haig Girls?

In choosing the "right" primary school for our girl (since we are >2km from an obvious good one and we are already too late for any PV now), i've shifted the focus to one where the overall environment will be conducive for her life long learning and I don't want her to be burnt out too early and too quickly (although a certain amount of stress is a must to push one to excel, otherwise too laidback an attitude sure cannot survive in her generation next time). Much as I cannot say I'm not 'kancheong' over the akan datang PSLE results (6 years later), I've shifted the search focus now to a school that have decent academic performance, dedicated teachers that place emphasis on growth (since I'm FTWM) as an individual besides just pushing to get good grades. That's why the small enrolment in Haig Girls looks attractive to me (but not sure if my interpretation is exactly right though :? ).

From what you've described, it appears that GMPS may be a better overall school than Haig Girls. But could it be that GMPS has more obvious credentials (given its a government-aided school) and therefore more of what it does is known? And Haig Girls, being a much smaller school does not have so much publicity, and less of what it does is actually known to the public (except of course its PSLE results which of course doesn't look fantastic)? :idea:

snowflake
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs