Mummy Windflower - Hello

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy Windflower - Hello

Postby Windflower » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:44 am

Hi, I have been browsing through this forum for sometime but only decide to register myself here today. I find this forum very informative, especially the topic on "Any Parents of Gifted Children here".

I am a typical kiasu SAHM for almost 10 years with two children, 9 year old boy and 4 year old girl. I hope to improve my role as a mother by learning more from other kiasu parents in this forum.

Windflower
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mintcc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:30 pm

hello Windflower :) Glad you like the info here, its the generous sharing among many of our members here that enable us to learn from one another.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Windflower - Hello

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:32 pm

Windflower wrote:Hi, I have been browsing through this forum for sometime but only decide to register myself here today. I find this forum very informative, especially the topic on "Any Parents of Gifted Children here".

I am a typical kiasu SAHM for almost 10 years with two children, 9 year old boy and 4 year old girl. I hope to improve my role as a mother by learning more from other kiasu parents in this forum.

Hi Windflower... welcome to KiasuParents.com! Your children's age gap is almost the same as mine. Same sex some more. Do you find that useful or prohibitive in terms of education or upbringing?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Windflower » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi, ChiefKiasu. I actually regret of having my 2nd child so many years later, especially when I see that they can't do a lot of things together. However, my boy is still quite childish compared to his friends of the same age, so he is always very accommodative towards his sister whenever she pesters him to play with her. :wink:

In terms of their education, I have more time to coach my boy since my girl is not into primary school yet. As for upbringing, I am equally strict towards both my children but tend to be more kan chiong about my boy's intellectual development than my girl. I guess no more energy left after all these years' exhaustion.

Windflower
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 pm

hi windflower,

i guess it depends on what you are looking for. my boys of 4 yrs age gap although don't do most stuff together, because of the older one being accomodative, they still do get to play together. the wide age gap would also mean that there will not be as much squabbling too. i would reckon that kids with very close age gap may have to fight to be unique and stand out so that their parents can appreciate them differently as they do most stuff together. i would imagine that those with like say 1-2 yrs age gap, the younger one may be overshadowed by the stuff that the older is doing....at least that is how i felt when i was young. :cry:
10 yrs as a SAHM? I guess i am walking down your path too. :) I am into my third year now. :)

welcome to KSP. 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Windflower » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks, jedamum. I agree with your point. Due to the wide age gap between my two children, my girl always looks upon her brother as her idol who can answer all her questions. However, she also has this bad habit whereby she must have everything that korkor has. :x

Windflower
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:02 am

Windflower wrote:Thanks, jedamum. I agree with your point. Due to the wide age gap between my two children, my girl always looks upon her brother as her idol who can answer all her questions. However, she also has this bad habit whereby she must have everything that korkor has. :x

Ah yes... my 3yo girl parrots every action of her 9yo brother - and yet will refuse to admit he is her idol. She not only wants everything her brother has - she also want to win in everything they do... eating, running, studying... and, of course, fighting.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:23 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Windflower wrote:However, she also has this bad habit whereby she must have everything that korkor has. :x

She not only wants everything her brother has - she also want to win in everything they do... eating, running, studying... and, of course, fighting.

Perhaps my younger one is still too young. For me, on the contrary, it is the older one that wants everything that his didi has.... from trying to hog practically every piece of new toy that I got for his didi, to acting like a baby and wanting me to cradle him...just like didi. :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Windflower » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:21 pm

ChiefKiasu, you reminded me that my girl also behaves like that. She would always suggest to her brother to have a race with her, in whatever... drinking water, eating, running to the lift to press button... but then she must be the winner. So your children's age gap is 6 years apart?

Jedamum, I think your elder one is jealous with his didi as you might have paid more attention to your younger one since he is still quite young. For me, my girl is the one who feels jealous whenever we praise korkor or buy korkor something that he needs. May I know how old are your two children and what makes you decide to give up your job and be a SAHM?

Windflower
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:51 am

Windflower wrote:May I know how old are your two children and what makes you decide to give up your job and be a SAHM?

6 and 2 yr old respectively. :D
RE: SAHM
if you are to make a choice of keeping your job or having a secondborn, which would you choose?
long story, anyway, it's cos i have no alternative care for my secondborn and childcare/infantcare, nannycare, maidcare are options that i will not consider. then as to if i will go back to work again, i'm not sure cos everyone at home is so used to me being at home (i used to work 7daysweek, 14hrs day during peak period) and the talk of me going back to work is usually met with strong resistance from all directions...husband, kid, ILs.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs