Mummy Tika : Club Montessori Is For My Child.

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy Tika : Club Montessori Is For My Child.

Postby Tika » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 am

Hello,

I'm a 28 year old mom to 2 girls, 2 years and 1 year old. my husband and i are advocates of positive parenting (when our patience doesn't leave us in the lurch, still working on improving that).

my husband is a private music teacher. he teaches mostly children as young as 4 to teenagehood. he doesn't believe in music exams. he encourages creativity and instills confidence in his students by organizing performances at family functions.

i'm a stay home mother by choice but i may have to consider starting a job soon, not by choice.

Husband and I love the montessori method of independent learning for our children. We are still quite new to the method and its a learning process for us as well. We've transformed our house to be a mini montessori inspired home. There is ample open floor space with low shelves which encourage our girls' exploration. Our beds and our girls' mattresses are placed on the floor so they can get into and out of bed by themselves. There's a cupboard with mirrored exterior right in front of our sleeping area so our girls may explore who they are (and play mime sometimes). We have child sized table and chairs which are light enough to be easily moved by our 2 year old. Bookshelves are low, allowing accessibility to our girls while we can always maintain visibility at all times. Hooks are hung at child height so they can hang and remove their own jacket and bag. They have their own mini shoerack as well. We have stools near the sinks and light switches so our 2 year old can turn on the lights, wash up on her own and turn off the lights on the way out. We're working on providing her her own little space in the fridge so she can get whatever healthy snacks she wants when she wants it. But first we gotta wait for her to gain the arm power to open the fridge door.

Any other parents on the same page as us ? Would love to make friends with other montessori inspired parents. :)

We may have to move to tampines, from siglap, and we're currently recceing for a good Montessori school that encourages positivity (no screaming yelling teachers) in the tampines/simei/pasir ris area. Plenty of Montessori schools adopt dr Maria's method but we're finding it hard to find one that encourages independence (no babying the children) in a positive way.

Any recommendations anyone?

Tika
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby qms » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:37 am

:welcome:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby duriz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 am

You are doing alot for your DDs.
And your home sounds perfect for them.
As for the Montessori, I hope you find what you're looking for.
There are many resources here, that you can tap into.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:01 am

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 am

:rahrah: :welcome: :welcome: :rahrah:

autumnbronze
Councillor