Mummy Gin: HELP! I am a Newbee

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy Gin: HELP! I am a Newbee

Postby Gin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:12 am

Hi, I am a Singapore Chinese lady planning to return to Singapore to settle for good. I have been away for almost 25 years. Looking at all the blogs scares the wits out of me. I did not know that it is such a headache to get kids to school! My older daughter is already in college in Singapore, so that is not a problem. However I have another daughter who was born in 2005. I am at a complete lost as to where would be a good place to put my little girl when it is time to register her in Primary 1. My husband is a German (finally a Singapore PR). I have heard that it is better for my younger daughter (also Singapore citizen) to be in a school where she would not be the only foreign looking child there.

Anyone can advise this LOST SOUL as to what to do? Thanks for your advise!

Gin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Mummy Gin: HELP! I am a Newbee

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Gin wrote:Hi, I am a Singapore Chinese lady planning to return to Singapore to settle for good. I have been away for almost 25 years. Looking at all the blogs scares the wits out of me. I did not know that it is such a headache to get kids to school! My older daughter is already in college in Singapore, so that is not a problem. However I have another daughter who was born in 2005. I am at a complete lost as to where would be a good place to put my little girl when it is time to register her in Primary 1. My husband is a German (finally a Singapore PR). I have heard that it is better for my younger daughter (also Singapore citizen) to be in a school where she would not be the only foreign looking child there.

Anyone can advise this LOST SOUL as to what to do? Thanks for your advise!

Hi Gin, welcome back to Singapore (& KiasuParents.com)! Just like when you are learning driving, it's much harder reading about it than doing it, so don't worry so much about it.

As for your daughter's admission, the first place to look is your own ex-school. The next place is your older daughter's ex-school. When none of that works, then look for the nearest school that is within 1km of your planned home address. Here's a starting point for your research.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Gin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Well, the primary school I went to no longer seems to be on the list of primary schools and my older child was in international schools while we were overseas. She has returned to Singapore only about 2 years ago and is now in La Salle College of the Arts. So, looks like those links are out of the question.

Just so frightening to know that it is so tough to get into a good school without some form of affiliation.

Thanks for your comforting words though!

Gin

Gin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs