Mummy AkinoMay: Panic mummy with son going P1 (Maha Bhodi)

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy AkinoMay: Panic mummy with son going P1 (Maha Bhodi)

Postby AkinoMay » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Hello, glad to find this website with so many info I needed, can't finish reading everything & they all seems so useful. I'm panicking becoz his K2 form teacher only told me a week ago that he CAN'T READ !!! My god, what should I do?! :cry:

AkinoMay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Panic mummy with son going P1 (Maha Bhodi) next year

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:50 pm

AkinoMay wrote:Hello, glad to find this website with so many info I needed, can't finish reading everything & they all seems so useful. I'm panicking becoz his K2 form teacher only told me a week ago that he CAN'T READ !!! My god, what should I do?! :cry:

Hi AkinoMay, welcome to KiasuParents.com! First rule of the game is - don't panic. Yes, the numerous posts we have are from the real-life experiences of parents who have been through it all - some successful, some not so successful, but we all have one thing in common, and that is, no matter how successful we are, we are continually learning new things about our children and we have to adapt to their changing needs to help them to grow into responsible and capable individuals.

Rome is not built in 1 day, and scholars are not made in 1 month. We must always look forward to what we can do, and not about what we should have done. While it is true that the better prepared children are for Primary school, the less pressure it is on families when they enter Primary 1, it is also true that children can catch up if they are properly tutored by their parents at home regularly. So if you and your husband are prepared to spend time with your son and help him with his schoolwork, there is no reason why he cannot do well eventually. And you should start right away.

For comfort of mind, you may send your child to some P1 preparatory courses - the most important being the English classes. Ability to read is definitely the key to success, given that it is the primary language of instruction. There are many programmes available during the school holidays, for eg. British Council.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Panic mummy with son going P1 (Maha Bhodi) next year

Postby jedamum » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:11 pm

hi AkinoMay,
welcome to KSP. 8)
different school have different culture, so you may relax a bit or panic a bit depending on which direction you are heading.
and...can your kid read? personally, how well are you aware of your kid's progress? your kid may not read to the teacher due to 'stage-fright' or shyness and not necessary cos he can't read.
there is still a month left to P1. that translates to about 30 days. and if an hour can be spent each day doing a bit of revision/coaching, be it on phonics or sight words, your kid can be better prepared in reading in time for P1.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:49 am

Hi AkinoMay,

I've a son who is going to P1 in 2009 as well. In his case, he is reading but very slowly and sometimes the word that he sounds out is wrong. This could be a result of exposure which we need to work on. His phonics teacher told us he has improved alot but he is still "slow" at recognising a word. I am concerned as well as I am hoping he don't get invited to remedial lessons in P1 : )

For a start, you need to determine your son's ability to read. Eg. is he able to read high frequency words,etc... From there, try to target his problem areas and work through it during the schools hols. It makes a lot of difference if you try to practise with him everyday.

In our case, I will be sending my son for P1 preparatory class at British Council during the hols. Hoping that it will make his word recognition better.

On the other hand, had a niece who wasn't really reading. She is P1 this year and she went through learning support program is making good progress.

I also agree that it depends on the school you are sending your child to. I observed in my girl's P1 class this year that the std varies from a child who is able to write a grammatically correct perfect composition to some who are struggling to read and spell. So parents need to have realistic expectations.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby funfantastic4 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:40 am

Hello AkinoMay, I know how you feel. I am now experiencing from both extremes. I have a soon-to-be P1 gal and another soon-to-be K2 gal.

My elder one started reading fluently when she turned 5 while my younger one can still tell me now that she doesn't know how to read. But somehow, sometimes she can still surprise me when she see some words and she say it out loud.

So moral of the story....it depends entirely on your kid. Is he a person who likes to flaunt his abilities or is he the sort who isn't confident of himself? Some of my friends whom have kids going to P1 are also facing the same issue......can't read well. One thing for sure....they will in due time, given the right encouragement and patience. Different children have different learning curves, so dun compare. Take your time.....you maybe surprised what wonders a whole month can do! :wink:

funfantastic4
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:39 am

Panic mum,

Hi I didn't realise your heading. My son is gg to MBS for P1 too. He is posted to 1K what about your son?

My girl is gg to P2 next year. I think what I had related earlier for my girl pertains very much to MBS situation.

Do keep in touch and let me know if you need any help as after having just gone through P1 with my girl, it gives me a feel of how the school works. You can PM me.

Besides english, MBS has very strong focus on chinese. P1 kids are stream after SA1 results.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby AkinoMay » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:05 am

All helpful mummies,

Thanks for all your encouragements and suggestions. Yes, I am currently trying my best to read to my son every night, couching him on common words first. As a busy working mum & a 1+ yr old girl to take care of, my time spent with him is quite limited.

Trying to put him in tution centre starting from Dec, any recommendation for not-so-expensive tution centre near Kembangan?

AkinoMay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Newbies & Clubs