Mummy FiFi: Phonics

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy FiFi: Phonics

Postby FiFi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:43 am

Hi

My name is FiFi (Fei Fei) . My friend introduce this forum to me and I found it very interesting and informative.

My girl is 6 yrs old, realised that she is not very good at her phonics. I observe that she reads by hard but not thru phonics way.
She did the entry test at I can read and was recommended to join the advance Stage 2. But at this stage they emphase on writing and grammer only.Is not what I am looking for.

I went to Zoophonics, they dont have class for older kids. Suggested that I can place my girl with the younger children. I would perfer my girl to join class of the same age group as her.

Can anyone recommend me which enrichment class specialize in phonics only ?

FiFi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bebe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:10 am

Is there any reason why do u wanna send yr gal to phonics in the first place? I sent my gals to phonics to pick up reading skill and elder one (6yrs old) did not respond well. But she still can read. I spoke to her teacher and she told me different kids will pick up reading at different stage..and while some learnt reading via phonic..and some are just literacy reader. My elder gal is the literacy reader, she is weak in decoding the word..but once you teach her how to read that word once, she can remember. And now she is quite an avid reader..phonic helps a little for certain words but she is still weak in decoding them.
Overall I m not concerned with that since she has found her way of learning how to read and most importantly she enjoys reading.
Just to share that, phonics is not the only way to learn to read, and we must not hinder their interest in reading.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby FiFi » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:45 pm

Hi FiFi

Thanks for your reply.

My intention of sending my girl to phonics lesson is if she encounter difficult words , she is able to read them. And knowing phonics , enable to do spelling easier.

Please advise this is any better way of impoving her ability to read "bid" words and able to spell when she encounter in the future.

FiFi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bebe » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:45 am

Not sure how to advise you but I can share with you. As my elder gal is rather weak in decoding, and I myself are not well versed in phonics, we just have to keep exposing her to those words regularly (through reading, or signboard, newspaper, magazine, TV subtitles or advert) and she will usually register them in her mind.

For spelling, she usually memorises them by hard. Not an effective way..but it worked for her. And now she is interested in word games activities eg word search, word puzzle, scrabble. We just brought her a dictionary..to help her in the game activities.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby buds » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:38 am

Heyya Fifi,

As your girl is already 6yrs, i suggest private coaching
so she can catch up what she has missed so much of.
No point doing grammar or those creative writing lessons
when her real help needed is really a good reading pgrm.

If you're interested i can recommend my friend who does
private ( one to one ) coaching. If nearby, she can even
travel to your home, travel expenses will be included in
her fees.

Cheerios.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Newbies & Clubs