scenic98: hi hi fellow parents

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

scenic98: hi hi fellow parents

Postby scenic98 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi all,
I chanced upon this site while searching for tuition centre for our daughter.
All school going parents share the same issues. and this is a good site to let off some steam and be understood.
Our education system (like many other policies) are getting out of hand. Most of us here have gone through a less stressful system and i think most of us turned out just fine. So with the kind of pressure cooker system now, are we expecting our kids to be Ministers, Nobel prize winners later?
My personal biggest gripe that the education policy shapers (not the teachers) always have this idea of "should have", "would have" mentality. e.g. by the time a child is in P2, he/she "should have" grasp....
"should/would have" based on what, i asked. no one can give me a satisfactory reply...so far.
Ok....sorry..will stop my ramblings here and take it to the relevant subtopic.

cheers.

scenic98
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Welcome scenic98! I suppose that's because you drive a Renault? :)

Not sure if I understand what you mean by the "should have"/"would have" mentality. Are you saying that our educational system expects us parents to have already prepared our kids for primary school before they even go to school?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby scenic98 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Tks Chief.
Haha....you are very sharp...Renault Scenic was my first brand new car in 2000.

U are partly correct, by the time your kid is in P1, the educators would expect him to know how to spell quite some words, write simple sentences and read a simple book. For Maths, by the time P1 exams come, they would have know how to solve 2nd order problem sums, solve abstract questions. The list goes on.

scenic98
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby scenic98 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Oops....realised i forgot to do a short intro. :oops:
Both mum and dad working, daughter this year in P2 somewhere along Bukit Timah. Attends after school care. Not by our choice, she attends extra lessons for all 3 subjects (sounds normal?). She goes for her swimming lesson. That's her only other non-academic course. No piano (gave that up), No ballet, No dancing, No art class.

On Saturdays, daddy plays chaffeur ferring kid here and there. Evening is our relax time. Sundays are for the extended family plus a little revision.

Just another regular family with school going kids.

scenic98
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:37 pm

scenic98 wrote:Oops....realised i forgot to do a short intro. :oops:
Both mum and dad working, daughter this year in P2 somewhere along Bukit Timah. Attends after school care. Not by our choice, she attends extra lessons for all 3 subjects (sounds normal?). She goes for her swimming lesson. That's her only other non-academic course. No piano (gave that up), No ballet, No dancing, No art class.

On Saturdays, daddy plays chaffeur ferring kid here and there. Evening is our relax time. Sundays are for the extended family plus a little revision.

Just another regular family with school going kids.

Yes... Saturday is also my chauffeuring duty day and now I also have to do Sundays because of MindChamps. Actually I'm ok... I'm just worried that my son gets burnt-out since he doesn't have a morning to "sleep in" during the entire week.

I put my son in BASC for 3 months then gave up. He didn't like it at all. I think he has trouble trying to work himself into the group because the group has been together for 2 years and he is new. So it's back to the honor system where he stays home to do his homework and he gets Chinese tuition and Kumon math twice a week. I try to inspect his work every night when I come home, but it can get very tiring and frustrating. Sigh.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 am

Hi scenic98, welcome to KSP. I don't need to chauffeur around, no car. So I took train to take my kid to Shichida on Saturday.

phantom
Site Admin

Return to Newbies & Clubs