Mummy Picolo: Hello All! A Mummy of Three Boys reporting....

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy Picolo: Hello All! A Mummy of Three Boys reporting....

Postby Picolo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi!

This is really a cool parenting site! From here, I have benefitted a lot and better understood our current Singapore education system through the intellectual exchange from parents from all walks of life.

I am a WAHM with a helper to handle the household chores for me. My hubby & I are left-handers but only our youngest one is the same as us. We have 3 boys aged 8 (Pri 2), 6/7 (Pri 1 ) and 4 (no school) as at 2009 (the new year). I would be glad to get to know kindred spirits from this forum.

A bit about myself. I am the kind of mum who read up a lot esp. about the brain development and the primary school syllabus, but refrain from being kiasu/ super anxious- it's a very easy thing to happen). I want to help my children without signing them up for tuition/enrichment classes, until it is proven that they have not shown significant improvement through my efforts. And this is precisely the reason behind my sending DS1 and DS2 to Berries. So far, it is the only academic enrichment I have signed up for my kids:
DS1- Berries at K2 level.
DS2- Berries at K1 & K2 level.
DS3- A Chinese teacher

Once I was able to kickstart my DS1's Chinese learning habit, I stopped him at the end of K2 and self-monitor and coach him from there. He had done well at his P1 Chinese SA1 & SA2, scoring full marks in both Paper 2.

Gosh, it was meant to be a brief intro but I am too long-winded.

Sorry and have a great weekend ahead!

Cheers.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Hello All! A Mummy of Three Boys reporting....

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi Picolo! You've definitely come to the right place with your, um, inclinations :D We are all KiasuParents here. Kiasu in the sense of wanting our children to grow up in the best manner possible, not Kiasu in the sense that we are definitely willing to share our experiences so that everyone can benefit as a whole.

Your treatment appears to be the same as mine - I only have Chinese enrichment for my daughter... no phonics or math which we can teach by ourselves. My daughter is currently in Berries (Mountbatten CC) and Forever Education (Katong Mall) for Chinese Speech & Drama.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Picolo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi Chief Kiasu,

Thanks and nice knowing you!

I come from a Chinese-speaking family and I am comfortable with both languages. But all my kids only like to speak in English, so it was not easy to get them interested in the Chinese. Now that they have no more resistence (or maybe less) in the language, I stopped BERRIES before they start P1, and pick up 'hui ben' (Chinese picture books) and some Chinese comics books to read with them. So far, this has yielded wonderful results. This will be the DEFAULT SETTING :mrgreen: , until I feel the need to put them back to some formal Chinese enrichment classes. I am one mummy who finds chauffeuring kids to enrichment classes torturous and time wasting (for me). So, I hope the default setting would not change until the kids reach P5 at least.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Picolo wrote:...I come from a Chinese-speaking family and I am comfortable with both languages. But all my kids only like to speak in English, so it was not easy to get them interested in the Chinese. Now that they have no more resistence (or maybe less) in the language, I stopped BERRIES before they start P1, and pick up 'hui ben' (Chinese picture books) and some Chinese comics books to read with them. So far, this has yielded wonderful results. This will be the DEFAULT SETTING :mrgreen: , until I feel the need to put them back to some formal Chinese enrichment classes. I am one mummy who finds chauffeuring kids to enrichment classes torturous and time wasting (for me). So, I hope the default setting would not change until the kids reach P5 at least.

I don't know how you managed to "convert" your kids from English-speaking to Chinese-loving... but GOOD JOB! I'm so envious :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Picolo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi CKS,

Honestly, it is an uphill task compared to getting the boys to enjoy English. I am persevering in my efforts and my next goal is getting the kids to like Chinese creative writing.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Picolo wrote:Hi CKS,

Honestly, it is an uphill task compared to getting the boys to enjoy English. I am persevering in my efforts and my next goal is getting the kids to like Chinese creative writing.

You and I, we both share the same resolution for 2009 :mrgreen:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Picolo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 pm

Ok that's great! Let's update each other every half a year on how close we stick to the resolution. :celebrate: Happy New Year!

(HARDWORK)

(HARDWORK)

(HARDWORK)

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Newbies & Clubs