Club 3 or more Kids

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Club 3 or more Kids

Postby 24hr-mum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:19 am

Original Title: club for mums with 3 or more kids

hi
not sure if such thread already exists, but i thot o
f forming a club for mummies with 3 or more kids, to share how each other handle so many kids.

for a start, some questions i have:
if have 3 or more kids, must the mummy be working or can still be sahm?

do mummies recycle assessment bks? erase old workings? photocopy?

must the family be driving a 7 seater?

how to coordinate tuition schedule for eg 3 kids, 4 subjects each?

how to control the budget?

will all kids sleep at the same time?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby junrahmat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:21 am

Hi 24-hr mum,

How many kids do you have?

Myself, I have 4 - ages ranging from 1-12 yrs old. I've been on no pay leave for he past 1.5yrs.

I do not recycle asst bks, only textbooks. Too tedious la, as asst bks are as gd as workbooks...

Still driving a sedan, although a 7 seater would definitely make the rides more comfortable. However, how often do you drive the family members all at the same time? If it is just for wekends, then I feel that a 7 seater is not necessary.

No tuition for the younger ones, as we feel that it is unnecessary. However, when my son had to sit for his psle this year, we got him English and MT tuition. He does Math and Science on his own with a little coaching from us. He did well and scored A* for both.

If you stick to only the necessaries, budget should be of no issue.

The kids will all sleep at about the same time during school term. Once lights are out by 9.30pm, they will all go to bed. :)

junrahmat
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: club for mums with 3 or more kids

Postby phankao » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 am

I have 4 kids from 2 to 16. They certainly don't sleep at the same time, which can be troublesome since they share the same room, so end up sleeping mostly quite late. ;(

I don't recycle assessment books(!!!). Whoever with many kids have THAT kind of time.

I have been driving a 7-seater MPV for 11 years already. Budget? What's that?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:49 am

hi

i hv 3 kids, aged 3, 5 and 7.
the 7yo will be 8yo in jan and will be in p3.
she's in p3 next year instead of only p2 cos she is a 1 jan bb.

my hubby drives normal sedan, still can squeeze a bit..

i used to just photocopy the assessment bks and keep the original for #2 but gave up in the end cos nowadays new n better bks always come up in the mkt

as only #1 is in pri sch, she will hv to sleep first. later then they other two join her. actually she has own rm to sleep but she still wants to sleep as a family...

do ur kids complain when u buy things for just 1 of them cos u happen to see that thing suitable only for that child?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 am

Hello! I don't have 3 kids yet, but will be able to join the club in Jan!

24hr-mum wrote:my hubby drives normal sedan, still can squeeze a bit..

We currently drive a mid-sized sedan and need to figure out the seating configuration. All 3 kids will be in child restraints. The baby will be in an infant seat; the 3 yo in the child seat; the 7yo in a booster. (3yo not ready to graduate to a booster.)

24hr-mum & junrahmat,

do you use child restraints? how do you squeeze everyone into the car?

Our options:
option 1: infant seat, and child seat at the sides of the back row, with the booster in the middle (very very tight squeeze); Mummy and Daddy in the front seats.
option 1: rear facing infant seat in the front passenger seat (disable airbag), child seat and booster seat at the sides of the back row, one parent squashed in the backrow between the two seats, while the other drives.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:27 am

my 3 kids also skinny type. one child will be on the maid lap if we go out as a family

no space for child restraint. just seat belts

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:09 am

24hr-mum, wah, you still have to squeeze in another adult! We don't have a maid, so have a little bit more space. :)

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:30 am

MummyThreeStreams, with 3 kids, you can cope without maid?

what abt junrahmat and phankao, got maid?

just curious, are you all sahm or ftwm?

my maid only came after #3 was born.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby junrahmat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:32 am

no maid, thats why can squeeze in everyone. And my kids are also skinny :lol:

junrahmat
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 pm

24hr-mum wrote:MummyThreeStreams, with 3 kids, you can cope without maid?

what abt junrahmat and phankao, got maid?

just curious, are you all sahm or ftwm?

my maid only came after #3 was born.

24hr-mum,
I will tell you if I can cope after #3 arrives!

We are not comfortable with having a live-in maid. But we have a lot of family support. For DS1, I was working full-time, so grandparents will help.

Then when he was about 18m, we went to the US to accompany DH for a year. While I was there, I realised that many parents coped without help, even if they had 5 kids! And they don't even have parents living nearby to help! Of course, they were SAHMs (childcare is very ex!) and many of them homeschooled their kids. They trained the older kids to help out at home.

That experience reinforced my belief that I could do without hired help. So when DS2 arrived, I took no-pay leave, but had to return to work part-time when he was about 18m. I am with the kids in the morning when they are at home, and I work (often at home) when they are at pre-school in the afternoons. The grandparents (they take turns) will take care of the kids (usually only DS2) when he returns from school in the mid-afternoon, and I'll be off-work by about 5 - 7pm, depending on workload, to take over from the grandparents.

When DS3 is born, I'll take at least 2 or more years off work!! after that hopefully can find a part-time position. Can't cope otherwise. Get too stressed from work that I snap at the kids a lot. Also, my parents and in-laws are getting old - they find it hard to take care of 2 active boys. I think with 3 boys, they will peng san...

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs