Mummy wiimum: New KSP!

Newbies report here first! And if you feel like you would like your own club, come and create one yourself too.

Mummy wiimum: New KSP!

Postby wiimum » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:54 pm

New member here. Though I have been lurking around here for a while, feeling a little wary, else the Kiasu bug catches on.
I have found that this is a good info sharing site and all parents would benefit through the sharing.
I am SAHM currently. My son is in GEP through his own efforts, no special training to get him in. No special coaching from me either. He finishes P6 this year with above average score, not anywhere near the top scorer but has DSA to a boys school.
My daughter will be in P4 next year, non GEP though she went through the second round of the test and was not selected. She is a little disappointed but we all think it is okay or rather I think it is better for her.
My policy is moderation is the key. So not too much study and yet not too much gaming too for the kids. We have 2 computers, X box and recently added a Wii and we have controlled access to these machines but free access to the books!

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: New KSP!

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:00 pm

wiimum wrote:New member here. Though I have been lurking around here for a while, feeling a little wary, else the Kiasu bug catches on.
I have found that this is a good info sharing site and all parents would benefit through the sharing...

Welcome to KiasuParents.com, wiimum! Yes, isn't the Wii great?! I bought the Wii Fit for my son and my wife and I turned blue in the face trying not to giggle at sight of our son doing the hula hoop. He's great at it, but try to imagine a grasshopper doing the hula and you get the picture.

Personally, I feel the GEP has gone way past its expiry date as an experimental programme and is more detrimental to gifted and non-gifted children alike due to the way it is administered. You know something has gone wrong when the private industry offer "GEP Preparatory Courses" to parents who think that GEP is must-have for a child to claim success in Primary school and to move on to greater things in life.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby wiimum » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:38 pm

the GEP has gone way past its expiry date as an experimental programme and is more detrimental to gifted and non-gifted children alike

Perhaps that's why they have done away with the secondary GEP?

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Mummy wiimum: New KSP!

Postby jedamum » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:42 am

hi wiimum,
welcome to KSP. 8)
you are a new member, but definitely not a new mum.
why the sudden need to be a sahm since your kids are already fairly big?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby wiimum » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi Jedamum :
Had been SAHM for several years now. I did away with the maid and manage on my own.
May become WAHM or FTWM when the kids gets bigger. Now younger one still in primary school.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby metz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:23 pm

wiimum wrote:My policy is moderation is the key. So not too much study and yet not too much gaming too for the kids. We have 2 computers, X box and recently added a Wii and we have controlled access to these machines but free access to the books!

Hi wiimum,

Your sharing makes me feel better. We have 3 computers, playstation (as well as a car racing wheel) and Wii at home. Likewise, access to these are tightly controlled :)
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:31 pm

chamonix wrote:Hi wiimum,

Your sharing makes me feel better. We have 3 computers, playstation (as well as a car racing wheel) and Wii at home. Likewise, access to these are tightly controlled :)

I have 4 computers, 2 laptops, 2 XBoxes (old ones) which I use for playing movies and occasional games, 1 Wii. I had to disable and keep all my notebooks under lock and key when I'm not around. The only way my son is allowed to use a computer in our absence is the computer in the living room which uses our 32-inch TV as a monitor. I have a pan-zoom-tilt web camera covering the entire area, and can zoom right in to see what he is doing on the computer, and he knows it. That's how I keep him in check :P .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Zann » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi wiimum, given a choice, will you put your primary school kid at after school care centre and be a working mum? Why?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby metz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:10 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
I have 4 computers, 2 laptops, 2 XBoxes (old ones) which I use for playing movies and occasional games, 1 Wii. I had to disable and keep all my notebooks under lock and key when I'm not around. The only way my son is allowed to use a computer in our absence is the computer in the living room which uses our 32-inch TV as a monitor. I have a pan-zoom-tilt web camera covering the entire area, and can zoom right in to see what he is doing on the computer, and he knows it. That's how I keep him in check :P .

That's quite an inventory! Do you happen to have the Agatha Christie game AND THEN THERE WERE NONE? Need help cos I'm stuck...

Is it complicated to set up the camera?
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:50 am

wiimum wrote:Had been SAHM for several years now.

ooh...i misintepreted the word 'currently' when you mentioned that you are a SAHM 'currently'.
Back to school for me then! (ya! exactly in 4 days time! :D )

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Newbies & Clubs